Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
doublew doublew is offline

Default Adjust column widths in tables

I used to have no problems dragging my column boundaries in tables in Word to
adjust the width of the column. Now the columns are refusing to resize, when
I click and drag nothing happens, the column stays the same size. Is there
some option I have inadvertently turned on or off that I don't know about?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

It can be difficult to adjust column width if auto resizing is enabled:
Table Properties | Table | Options and clear the check box or Table |
AutoFit | Fixed Column Width.

"doublew" wrote in message
I used to have no problems dragging my column boundaries in tables in Word

adjust the width of the column. Now the columns are refusing to resize,

when
I click and drag nothing happens, the column stays the same size. Is

there
some option I have inadvertently turned on or off that I don't know about?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
doublew doublew is offline

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I tried both of those and I'm still
having the same problems. When I try to make a column smaller, it actually
gets bigger. Does anyone know what the problem is? It's driving me nuts!

"doublew" wrote in message
I used to have no problems dragging my column boundaries in tables in Word

adjust the width of the column. Now the columns are refusing to resize,

when
I click and drag nothing happens, the column stays the same size. Is

there
some option I have inadvertently turned on or off that I don't know about?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Are you adjusting the width by dragging a column border or the ruler markers
or by changing the dimension in the Table Properties dialog.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It can be difficult to adjust column width if auto resizing is enabled:
Table Properties | Table | Options and clear the check box or Table |
AutoFit | Fixed Column Width.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"doublew" wrote in message
I used to have no problems dragging my column boundaries in tables in

Word
adjust the width of the column. Now the columns are refusing to

resize,
when
I click and drag nothing happens, the column stays the same size. Is

there
some option I have inadvertently turned on or off that I don't know

about?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Sometimes it is difficult to adjust column widths by very small amounts this
way. You might try pressing Alt while dragging. This not only displays the
resulting column width but also overrides the grid to allow you to make
finer adjustments. For other ways of changing column width, see the relevant
section in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm

Column widths in Word 2003 JR Tables 2 March 19th 06 02:16 AM
Changing Column width on Multiple tables.. WordHack Tables 1 May 7th 05 03:24 PM
Dragging table column resets Sedonakids Tables 0 January 12th 05 02:11 AM
How do I adjust column width in a table? FruitIsBest Tables 1 December 4th 04 11:30 PM
Can tables be permanently set to Fixed Column Width? Klaus Linke Tables 0 October 26th 04 04:27 PM