Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default How to use F2?

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Select the text you want to move, press F2, move your insertion point
to the destination, press Enter.

The outcome is the same as Cut and Paste but it's not identical since
it doesn't use the Clipboard. Using F2, Enter is the same as using
drag/drop to move document content..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move
text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem
to find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The F2 key is used as a keyboard shortcut for the Cut command (Edit Menu).
Ctrl+X does the same thing. In order for either to work you must first
*select* the content (text or graphic) you wish to 'cut' from the doc...
Otherwise the program has no idea what to cut.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/27/06 11:39 AM, in article ,
"Epinn" wrote:

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Block up the text you want to move.
Press F2.
Put the cursor where you want it moved to
Press Enter.

That's it!

And it leaves whatever you had on your clipboard as it was which, is very
handy sometimes.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

It differs from Ctrl+X in a couple of ways - it doesn't use the clipboard,
and doesn't remove the selected text until it has a destination given by
pressing enter. It can also be aborted in a variety of ways (Esc for
example) in which case it leaves the document unchanged.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

.. .

"Epinn" wrote:

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to

find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Thank you, all. I think I have to be careful about what I do between
pressing F2 and hitting enter at the new location.

If I press F2, then try to insert a page break, I lose it. I should insert
a page break before I do F2. Right now, I still haven't convinced myself
why I should use F2 instead of cut and paste. Will see.

Appreciate feedback.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move
text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem
to find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Thanks for being detailed and I like details. Yes, ctrl+x is exactly the
same as "cut" and it is listed right beside "cut" on the edit menu. I think
the fact that F2 doesn't remove the selected text immediately is because it
is not copied to the clipboard. Somehow, I feel that there is a connection
between the two. I just feel like guessing.

Epinn

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
It differs from Ctrl+X in a couple of ways - it doesn't use the

clipboard,
and doesn't remove the selected text until it has a destination given by
pressing enter. It can also be aborted in a variety of ways (Esc for
example) in which case it leaves the document unchanged.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

.. .

"Epinn" wrote:

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text

or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to

find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Tony & Beth -

Well fancy that

There's another one of those undocumented, well-disguised differences
between Word on the Mac & on the PC. Since I rarely use it on either
platform I hadn't discovered the distinction. Thanks for clarifying.

F2 on the Mac is defined as EditCut & *does* remove the selected content on
execution. Repositioning the insertion point and using any of the Paste
techniques pastes the cut material accordingly, so the clipboard is
involved... And pressing Esc after F2 has no effect whatsoever.

Another tidbit to add to my "Why Word ISN'T Word" list 8-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/27/06 12:15 PM, in article , "Tony
Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote:

It differs from Ctrl+X in a couple of ways - it doesn't use the clipboard,
and doesn't remove the selected text until it has a destination given by
pressing enter. It can also be aborted in a variety of ways (Esc for
example) in which case it leaves the document unchanged.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

.. .

"Epinn" wrote:

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to

find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Thanks Bob,

Always nice to pick up these little snippets. Does Word on the Mac have a
drag and drop feature?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

"Epinn" wrote:

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text

or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to

find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Absolutely - that's what makes is so curious that the F2 key works
differently. I guess one of the development teams didn't get the memo on
this one:-)

Anyway, I'll be able to avoid [some of] the traps now that I've had a chance
to reinstall VPC7 & Office 2003.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
Thanks Bob,

Always nice to pick up these little snippets. Does Word on the Mac have a
drag and drop feature?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

"Epinn" wrote:

Hi,

According to "help" we are supposed to be able to use F2 to move text

or
graphics. However, I don't have a clue how to do it. Didn't seem to
find
the info from "help." Can someone tell me please?

Does it give the same effect as cut and paste?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

PS - It suddenly dawned on me why I didn't recall this on the PC... F2 only
works that way if you have Smart Cut & Paste active (ToolsOptionsEdit). I
turned it off long ago so I could use F2 for another purpose!

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
Thanks Bob,

Always nice to pick up these little snippets. Does Word on the Mac have a
drag and drop feature?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

[...]