Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
seashell seashell is offline

Default Corrupt Tables of Contents

I am new to shared workspace. Whenever anyone opens files with tables of
contents they all have the same number page all the way down the table. The
only way to fix it is to open the file, copy to hard drive, delete original,
open saved copy, reindex table and resave to workspace. It will corrupt each
time you open it and it happens across the board with all users. Has anyone
seen this problem before or do you have any suggestions??? Please explain
clearly as I am new to this software. Thanks for any help you can offer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"seashell" wrote in message
I am new to shared workspace. Whenever anyone opens files with tables of
contents they all have the same number page all the way down the table.

The
only way to fix it is to open the file, copy to hard drive, delete

original,
open saved copy, reindex table and resave to workspace. It will corrupt

each
time you open it and it happens across the board with all users. Has

anyone
seen this problem before or do you have any suggestions??? Please explain
clearly as I am new to this software. Thanks for any help you can offer

Thanks for responding so quickly. I do understand that the update fixes it but having to update with lots of managers opening and closing the files is not a workable solution. Is there anyway to keep this from happening? You said it happens in Read Layout view...is there another option for opening the file while still being able to edit? Would password protection be of any use? Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If users all disable Reading Layout view (Tools | Options | General) then
the problem would not arise? And I really can't see that pressing F9 is too
much to ask; it's certainly a lot less work than the involved process you
described.

"seashell" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is frequently reported when files are opened in Reading Layout

view,
but in such cases updating the TOC (F9) will fix it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"seashell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"seashell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I will offer that solution. It seems simple enough.