Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Vicki Vicki is offline

Default MS Word 2003. Margins of inserted table into header outside.

The header box is smaller that the table. I am trying to make the header
table on my first page join together text in the file. I have an extra line
that I can't eliminate.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can apply negative indents to the header paragraph to accommodate the
table, but you can't eliminate the empty paragraph that must follow it. You
can, however, format that paragraph as 1 point or Hidden.

Note that Word 2003 also has a Compatibility Option to "Allow tables to
extend into margins."