Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Chris Mary Chris is offline

Default Style Char problem

Our business uses an attached stylesheet to make our documentation look
consistent. Occasionally we have problems with styles added by Word when our
subject matter experts add content and don't use the stylesheet properly. I
can copy some styles from the stylesheet to solve some problems and have been
able to delete some styles to solve others, however there are some things
that baffle me.

Lately we have found that some users with XP for Windows and Word are
getting different fonts for the same "Char" style. This throws off the
formatting. There are some files with a "Table" style which is Arial 10 and
the "Table Char" style which is the same on some computers, but Arial 12 on
others.

A Find on the Char style says there is no content with that style. Then when
the style is deleted, quite a few of the cells of the tables will go to
"Normal" (Word replaces the deleted style with Normal style).

Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if this helps:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Chris" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Chris Mary Chris is offline

That solves part of the mystery. I didn't know that the styles were linked.

Can you also tell me why that "Char" style is 12 point font in some documents
and 10 point in others? Something with the stylesheet?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this helps:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Chris" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that the char styles were created the way Cindy Meister
describes in her article, their formatting would depend on which
paragraph style was applied to the selection.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this helps:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Chris" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Chris Mary Chris is offline

I worded that badly. The same document will have text of a style show as
Arial 10 on one computer and Arial 12 on another. Is that a difference
in stylesheets?

I was suspecting the "Char" font to be at fault, but don't have ready access
a computer that changes the font. If we could just identify the "bad" text,
it would help, but we have to rely on those few people we know of who
have the problem and they're getting annoyed at us asking them questions.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this helps:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Chris" wrote in message
news Our business uses an attached stylesheet to make our

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is "Automatically update document styles" checked in Tools | Templates
and Add-Ins? If not, the style definitions shouldn't change. (Even
if the option is checked, a computer must have a template with the
correct name, or nothing will change, when you open the document on
that computer.)

To rule out document corruption, see also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP