Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
crawsnest crawsnest is offline

Default Broadcast Fax and Mail Merge

I often have the same fax going to several parties ("broadcasting") and to
avoid typing & re-typing the same information, is there a way to create a fax
cover sheet in Word & use mail merge so that all the names/fax numbers appear
on the same page, not on individual pages? I don't want the page breaks in
my final document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Usually Mail Merge in a situation like that would be used in order to create
a separate fax cover sheet for each party. It's possible that a
Catalog/Directory merge would do what you want--that doesn't create extra
page breaks.

However, what you want doesn't make sense to me. If you are using the same
cover sheet for all recipients, why do you need to type it more than once?
Why not just type it once, and use the sheet over and over again. I think
perhaps you need to explain your question more carefully. What page breaks
are you trying to avoid?

Do you want the fax cover sheet to be *part* of the document you are faxing?

Also, always state your version of Word.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
crawsnest via OfficeKB.com crawsnest via OfficeKB.com is offline

At work we use Word 2002. I was wanting to create just 1 fax cover sheet
with all names/fax #s on the same sheet without the tedious task of selecting,
copying & pasting from another source into my fax cover sheet. The fax is
sent from a separate fax machine, not through the computer. I've tried
setting up my main document as a directory, but that still gives me
individual cover sheets per recipient. I have Word 2000 at home and have the
choice of choosing catalogue as my main document and as long as I have my
general information contained in either a header or footer, then it will
merge all recipients onto the same page.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry. I thought a Directory merge ought not to add the page breaks (and
that it was just a Catalog merge renamed), but I don't have Word 2002, so
don't know if the problem is the program or the settings. Perhaps someone
else knows?

Alternatively, if the names/address are saved in Outlook or whatever holds
the Office Address Book in Windows, try using the Contacts toolbar to insert
the names and addresses. Might be easier than switching programs and
copying/pasting, shouldn't be any more tedious than setting up the mail
merge.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Directory merge works exactly the same as Catalog; anything that is in
the body of the mail merge main document will be repeated for each record,
but text you put in the header or footer will not.