Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pia Pia is offline

Default How I set up a form so I input information using data form icon?

In the forms toolbar there's an option called data form. I have used this
icon before to bring up a box that allows you to load information for a
letter or proposal from this box, rather than having highlighted sections in
the document that you have to go through, change & delete. It's standard
things like Customer Name, Address. I think it has something to do with a
mail merge but I've no idea how to set it up. I've tried the text form field
but it's not as good as the data form. Does anyone kno
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

In the forms toolbar there's an option called data form. I have used this
icon before to bring up a box that allows you to load information for a
letter or proposal from this box, rather than having highlighted sections in
the document that you have to go through, change & delete. It's standard
things like Customer Name, Address. I think it has something to do with a
mail merge but I've no idea how to set it up. I've tried the text form field
but it's not as good as the data form.

Which version of Word do you have?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pia Pia is offline

Default How I set up a form so I input information using data form ico

Microsoft Office Word 2003

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

In the forms toolbar there's an option called data form. I have used this
icon before to bring up a box that allows you to load information for a
letter or proposal from this box, rather than having highlighted sections in
the document that you have to go through, change & delete. It's standard
things like Customer Name, Address. I think it has something to do with a
mail merge but I've no idea how to set it up. I've tried the text form field
but it's not as good as the data form.

Which version of Word do you have?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

Microsoft Office Word 2003

Word does not provide a toolbar button named "data form" on the Forms toolbar. If
you're really seeing (or saw) a button of that name in the Forms toolbar, it was put
there by someone, or some program.

There is a "data form" button on the old Word 2000 mail merge toolbar, but it
doesn't do what you describe.

Is it possible that you once had Bill Coan's "Data Prompter" add-in installed? Or
some similar kind of tool? And now it's "gone missing"?

In the forms toolbar there's an option called data form. I have used this
icon before to bring up a box that allows you to load information for a
letter or proposal from this box, rather than having highlighted sections in
the document that you have to go through, change & delete. It's standard
things like Customer Name, Address. I think it has something to do with a
mail merge but I've no idea how to set it up. I've tried the text form field
but it's not as good as the data form.

Which version of Word do you have?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pia Pia is offline

I'm not sure about that. The computer & programs I was using with the data
form is not the one I'm using now so I don't know if it was or not ever
working on this terminal. Is there another option for doing what I want with
this Word version?

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

I'm not sure about that. The computer & programs I was using with the data
form is not the one I'm using now so I don't know if it was or not ever
working on this terminal. Is there another option for doing what I want with
this Word version?

Nothing "simple and easy" that you can just "plug in" and start working.

See if this is the tool you had
http://www.wordsite.com/products/dpdas.htm

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pia Pia is offline

Yeah, that sounds a lot like it, but I definitely used the data form button.
The box to input information didn't just automatically pop up when I went
into the form.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

I'm not sure about that. The computer & programs I was using with the data
form is not the one I'm using now so I don't know if it was or not ever
working on this terminal. Is there another option for doing what I want with
this Word version?

Nothing "simple and easy" that you can just "plug in" and start working.

See if this is the tool you had
http://www.wordsite.com/products/dpdas.htm

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

Yeah, that sounds a lot like it, but I definitely used the data form button.
The box to input information didn't just automatically pop up when I went
into the form.

Well, you definitely had something that's not part of Word-out-of-the-box. The
only "data form" button in Word is for entering new records in pre-Word 2000
mail merge data sources (mainly, Word tables). If you're still with the same
company and your old profile or machine is still around, I suggest you sit down
with someone in IT and figure out what it was so that you can transfer it to
your current profile.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

In Word 2003, the data form button is in the Database toolbar. If your
cursor is in a table, clicking this button will convert each column to a data
field for entry in the dialog box. After completing, the data will be added
in rows to the table. This button can also be used to edit tables.

But, I too would like to know how to set up a template to either have a
button in the document that calls this functionality or have it pop up
automatically when the user reaches that part of the document.

"Pia" wrote:

Ok, thanks for your help.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UGlh?=,

Yeah, that sounds a lot like it, but I definitely used the data form button.
The box to input information didn't just automatically pop up when I went
into the form.

Well, you definitely had something that's not part of Word-out-of-the-box. The
only "data form" button in Word is for entering new records in pre-Word 2000
mail merge data sources (mainly, Word tables). If you're still with the same
company and your old profile or machine is still around, I suggest you sit down
with someone in IT and figure out what it was so that you can transfer it to
your current profile.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXM=?=,

In Word 2003, the data form button is in the Database toolbar. If your
cursor is in a table, clicking this button will convert each column to a data
field for entry in the dialog box. After completing, the data will be added
in rows to the table. This button can also be used to edit tables.

But, I too would like to know how to set up a template to either have a
button in the document that calls this functionality or have it pop up
automatically when the user reaches that part of the document.

Aha. Now, this is a very clear description and I "get it" :-)

The "button-in-the-document" is easier. Basically, the code to go with it would
be

Sub ShowTheForm()
If Selection.Information(wdWithinTable) Then
ActiveDocument.DataForm
End If
End Sub

The other way would be more elegant :-), but would require using
application-level events, which can be very complicated as soon as you need to
work in a "production" environment. If you want to explore that route, then I
recommend posting in the word.vba.general newsgroup. And don't forget to mention
the version of word, plus anything else that might affect how the
document/template will be used.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SJHMCSE SJHMCSE is offline

I have a user that was recently upgraded to Word 2007 and she used this "data
form" button all the time. I have not been able to find its equivalent in
Word 2007. And thoughts?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXM=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the button is on a custom toolbar, the button will be displayed on the
add-ins tab - see http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm; otherwise
you/she will have to add the macro to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar)

SJHMCSE wrote:
I have a user that was recently upgraded to Word 2007 and she used
this "data form" button all the time. I have not been able to find
its equivalent in Word 2007. And thoughts?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXM=?=,

[...]

question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)