Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
sombera sombera is offline

Default How do I enter an if,then,else formula with an embedded sum formul

I want to create a formula in a word table like the following but everything
I have tried, I get a syntax error. Can anyone tell me the correct format
for this formula?
if (or(c30,d30),sum(e2,c3,d3),"")

It's not that complex but I can't get the exact formating down so that it
will work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Your main problem is that Word doesn't have OR or SUM functions. Word tables
are not Excel spreadsheets.
Go to Insert Field to see the list of valid field codes.

"sombera" wrote in message
I want to create a formula in a word table like the following but
everything
I have tried, I get a syntax error. Can anyone tell me the correct format
for this formula?
if (or(c30,d30),sum(e2,c3,d3),"")

It's not that complex but I can't get the exact formating down so that it
will work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Both OR and SUM are listed in the "Paste function" list box of Table |
Formula in Word 2003. Both, of course, must be prefaced by = (and {
=SUM(ABOVE) } is the probably the most commonly used formula in tables.

"sombera" wrote in message
I want to create a formula in a word table like the following but
everything
I have tried, I get a syntax error. Can anyone tell me the correct

format
for this formula?
if (or(c30,d30),sum(e2,c3,d3),"")

It's not that complex but I can't get the exact formating down so that

it
will work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

In theory there is nothing wrong with your formula but formulae inWord
fields can be a bit finicky and it seems to want to have a number instead of
the quoted empty string. As a way round this you could suppress a zero by
doing ...

{ =if( or( c3 0 , d3 0 ) , sum( e2 , c3 , d3 ) , 0 \# # }

--
Enjoy,
Tony