Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura Laura is offline

Default autotext

I have Office 97 and I bought office 2003. I am concerned I may lose all my
autotext entries when installing the new office version. Is this correct? If
so, how can I do to export all my old entries into the new version?

Thanks! Laura
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

AutoText entries are stored in templates. If you didn't specifically put
them in some other template, they're in Normal.dot.

Performing an upgrade (that is, installing the new version while the old
version is still on the computer) should automatically keep the existing
AutoText entries intact. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It would be a good idea anyway to back up the important files before doing
the upgrade, and at regular intervals all the time -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm. If the upgrade
doesn't transfer the AutoText entries, you can use the Organizer (Tools
Templates & Add-Ins Organizer) to copy them from the backup of Normal.dot
to the new Normal.dot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman