Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce in California Bruce in California is offline

Default find numbers?

I need to replace all numbers in a document with "xx". The numbers can be in
the format 7, 0.07, 77, 700.07, 7,000. I can find some but not all. Any
suggestions
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Bruce in California" wrote:
I need to replace all numbers in a document with "xx".
The numbers can be in the format
7, 0.07, 77, 700.07, 7,000.
I can find some but not all. Any suggestions

Hi Bruce,

That's a job for wildcards.

But Word's wildcard matching (Edit Find, check "Match wildcards") does not
allow optional groups (which you would need for the optional dots and commas
inside numbers).

So the best I can think of would be two searches,

one for
Find what: [0-9][0-9,.]@[0-9]

and, since this misses single and double digit numbers, a second search for:
Find what: [0-9]{1,2}

Or if you do the search with a macro, match [0-9.,]{1;} and then exclude
trailing (and maybe leading) dots and commas from the selection with
..MoveEndWhile.

Regards,
Klaus