Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Japhy Japhy is offline

Default Form Text Fields kb286841

Hello,
I have this exact issue described in this article, but am unfamilar
with VB.
Here is what I want to do :
I have a list of customer data in an excel ss.
I have a word document with text form fields that I want to mail to
customers and have them fill out.
I would like to pre populate the form with the data that we do know
before sending it to them.
But, the mailmerge wipes out the text form fields and just writes the
text.

When do I run the macro?
Where do I put the mail merge fields (next to the text form field, over
it.....I've tried both and neither seem to work. I closest I've gotten
is to put the merged data next to the text form field

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have a look at the following article:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

What you then need to do is have some way of running the macro from the
form. There are various ways to do this, and you may be better off looking
at a more general Word programming forum, but for example you can go into
Word Tools|Customize|Commands, select category macros, selectyour .doc in
the drop-down at the bottom, then find the macro in the list of macros and
drag it to a toolbar.

Then protect your Form document, fill in the fields, and click the button
you just created. To work the document needs to be connected to a data
source. off the top of my head, I can't remember whether you can set that
up, then protect a form without losing the connection. If not, you'll need
to do a couple of additional things. But have a go at that for now.

Peter Jamieson

"Japhy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have this exact issue described in this article, but am unfamilar
with VB.
Here is what I want to do :
I have a list of customer data in an excel ss.
I have a word document with text form fields that I want to mail to
customers and have them fill out.
I would like to pre populate the form with the data that we do know
before sending it to them.
But, the mailmerge wipes out the text form fields and just writes the
text.

When do I run the macro?
Where do I put the mail merge fields (next to the text form field, over
it.....I've tried both and neither seem to work. I closest I've gotten
is to put the merged data next to the text form field

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Japhy Japhy is offline

Peter, just wanted to thank you for your response. I always try to
acknowledge when folks generously share their knowledge, but you
slipped through....thanks