Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toody Toody is offline

Default Outlined paragraphs and numbering/lettering questions

I know how to do a numbered list, but I am having problems when paragraphs
are involved. How do I create a numbered list containing paragraphs without
numbering each line of the paragraph. Also, how do I line everything up when
the spacing is at a half point.

For instance:

1. Subject should be a brief, meaningful summary of your question or
comment. People are more likely to respond to a post if they know what the
issue is by reading the Subject.

2. Body should include a full description of the issue and what you want to
achieve as well as the version of the product you're using.

I would like the lines after the first line to line up with the first line.
In other words, in sample "1" I would like "People" to line up under subject
and "reading" under people.

Also, I've seen different styles. How many spaces should there be after the
number and the first word in the numbered list? One? Two? Or five?

Any information will be helpfu. I'm having problems with my items lining up.

I have Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Word has a built-in feature for numbering. Unless you are inserting returns
in paragraphs you won't get every line numbered. If you want to leave a
space, you can hold down the shift key when you press return, and then do a
normal return to insert a new number. Alignment should be fine as well, but
you can make changes to the spacing if you wish through the Format | Bullets
and Numbering menu. Hope this helps.
--
Rae Drysdale

"Toody" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toody Toody is offline

Thanks, that solves part of my problem!! (I just discovered in the numbered
paragraphs that I'm editing for someone else that some of the numbers have
two spaces between them and the first word of the paragraph, and others have
five. The ones with five seem to be preformatted, since there is a gray box
connecting the number and the first letter, when I click on it.)

"Toody" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to learn to use hanging indents, which are automatic with automatic
numbering; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

If you want to apply simple numbering, apply the built-in List Number style
series. If you want to type in your numbers by hand, use the List style
series.