Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LSivak LSivak is offline

Default Email Mail Merge

I am trying to attempt to create a merged email from a list in excel.

I have 1000 names and I need to merge the first 100 into an email and send
it to email A (which is includes in teh rows of the first 100), then the next
100 I need to merge into another email and send to email B (on the rows of
the 2nd 100)

Any way to do this in Word?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are saying that each 100 rows in Excel has the destination e-mail
address in a different column, then there are two obvious ways you could go:
a. do the merge in batches of 100 and specify a different column for each
batch (you can probably do this in a VBA macro if you need to)
b. add a column in Excel that grabs its data from a different column
depending on which batch of records its in, and use that new column as the
destination e-mail address for the merge.

If you're saying something else, can you spell it out?

Peter Jamieson
"LSivak" wrote in message
I am trying to attempt to create a merged email from a list in excel.

I have 1000 names and I need to merge the first 100 into an email and send
it to email A (which is includes in teh rows of the first 100), then the
next
100 I need to merge into another email and send to email B (on the rows of
the 2nd 100)

Any way to do this in Word?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LSivak LSivak is offline

so with option b- you are saying create a column that says (layman) look at
cell d and if this, then enter this in this cell to create a separate email
address field?

My file has the destination emails in one column, but changes due to the
customer information, so in order to avoid sending 100 different emails to
one email address, how can i create an email that I can send to just that
destination email once with all customers info attached.

Basically, it is a list of customers who have requested info from a certain
company, and there can be up to 100 customers who request from a given
company so I want to send one email to each company listing all of the
customers who have requested information.
Hope that makes it a bit clearer
Thanks!

"LSivak" wrote in message
I am trying to attempt to create a merged email from a list in excel.

I have 1000 names and I need to merge the first 100 into an email and send
it to email A (which is includes in teh rows of the first 100), then the
next
100 I need to merge into another email and send to email B (on the rows of
the 2nd 100)

Any way to do this in Word?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

My file has the destination emails in one column, but changes due to the
customer information, so in order to avoid sending 100 different emails to
one email address, how can i create an email that I can send to just that
destination email once with all customers info attached.

OK, in that case neither of my suggestions will help.

The thing you are trying to achieve is not particularly easy to do using
Word - in fact there is no "out-of-the-box" facility to do it. If you want a
very simple tabular list of customers in each e-mail and you are not
concerned with the layout, you can do something using a DATABASE field in
your document and either a bit of VBA or an extra Excel sheet. If you need
more control, things get much harder.

To do the "something using DATABASE field", see how far you get with the
following.
----------------------------------
Let's suppose your excel worksheet is in a file called "c:\myxls\mywb.xls",
that the data is contained in a sheet called "Sheet1", and has at least the
following columns:
"email", containing the each email address you need to send to. There may
be multiple rows for each e-mail address
"orgname", containing the name of the organisaiton you are e-mailing. The
orgname should be the same in every row with the same email.
"customername" containing customer name
"customerdetail" containing a customer detail (could be email address,
phone number, and so on)

Important: to test this, you're really going to have to replace the real
e-mail addresses by test email addresses.

Let's also assume that the sheet is sorted so that all the rows for each
"email" are together

What you need is
a. a mail merge data source that has one record for each distinct value in
the "email" column
b. a mail merge main document that inserts the customername and
customerdetail columns for all the rows with a particular value of "email".

To do this without VBA, you need to create a new sheet or new workbook
containing one row for each distinct email address.

Let's suppose you create a new workbook called c:\myxls\myemails.xls with

orgname email
org1
org2
org3

Set up your mail merge main document as an E-mail merge and set this sheet
up to be the data source for the merge.

Insert whatever explanatory text you need in your mailmerge main document,
using an orgname ({ MERGEFIELD orgname } ) field to insert the name of
the organisation you are e-mailing.

To insert the list of customers for that email/orgname,
- use ctrl-F9 to insert a pair of special field code braces {} (they aren't
the same as the characters you can type on the keyboard)
- within the {} type

DATABASE \d "c:\myxls\mywb.xls" \s "SELECT s.customername,
s.customerdetail FROM `Sheet1$` s WHERE s.orgname = '?'

Select the "?", and insert the merge field orgname (i.e. { MERGEFIELD
orgname }). The whole thing should look like

{ DATABASE \d "c:\myxls\mywb.xls" \s "SELECT s.customername,
s.customerdetail FROM `Sheet1$` s WHERE s.orgname = '{ MERGEFIELD
orgname }' }

That should insert a table (without lines) with one row for each of the
customers related to that e-mail. You should be able to preview the merge
and see roughly what is going to happen when you actually perform the merge.

Perform the merge to e-mail, selecting "email" as the column to use for the
e-mail address.

If you manage to get that to work, it may be possible to format the output
rather better. If you want to avoid using a separate sheet for the
orgname/email addresses, you'll need some VBA. If it's already looking far
too hard, you'll probably have to do a lot more stuff manually...

Peter Jamieson