Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
leo leo is offline

Default creating hyperlinks in a word document

I'm writting an instruction manual and I want to hyperlink the table of
contents to the actual chapter itself. For example the TOC will say "Getting
Started". I want the user to be able to hit Getting Started in the TOC and be
jumped to that section heading called "Getting Started" elsewhere in the
document
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Tables of contents entries are hyperlinked by default, in Word 2000
and later (and page numbers are hyperlinked from Word 97). Note that
in Word 2003 (and 2002?) you may have to hold Ctrl while clicking the
link (unless you clear that option in Tools | Options, Edit tab).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"leo" wrote in message
I'm writting an instruction manual and I want to hyperlink the table
of
contents to the actual chapter itself. For example the TOC will say
"Getting
Started". I want the user to be able to hit Getting Started in the
TOC and be
jumped to that section heading called "Getting Started" elsewhere in
the document

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Leo

leo wrote:
I'm writting an instruction manual and I want to hyperlink the table of
contents to the actual chapter itself. For example the TOC will say "Getting
Started". I want the user to be able to hit Getting Started in the TOC and be
jumped to that section heading called "Getting Started" elsewhere in the
document

look up, in your offline help, "Creating a Table of Contents" or "Field
code: TOC".

By default, TOC entries or at least the page numbers in them will
automatically link to the corresponding entries. Depending on version of
Word, a simple click or CTRL-Click will work.

If, for whatever reason, your TOC does not hyperlink, add the \h switch
manually (as described in the field definition).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS