AMoorse

Default Why does Word 2003 start slowly

I recently updated my boss's computer from XP Home and Office 2000 Pro to XP
Pro and Office '03.

This morning she mentioned that Word takes a very long time to start up. I
timed it at 1 minute.

I ran Windows Update and Office Update, and the Office Update detected a
need for an Office 2000 service pack. I did not load it.

Can anyone suggest from these symptoms the reason why Word (and not any
other Office program) starts so slowly? If so, what should I do to solve it?

Does the Office Update issue mean I need to reinstall Office '03?

AMoorse

I updated and ran AdAware, and worked my way through
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm.
and that sped things up considerably.

Can anyone answer my second question? Does Office Update's recommending an
update for Office 2000 mean I should uninstall/reinstall Office 2003?

In checking the Word startup path, I found that there are multiple Office
folders (Office, Office10, Office11), each with its own Startup folder.

"AMoorse" wrote:

I recently updated my boss's computer from XP Home and Office 2000 Pro to XP
Pro and Office '03.

This morning she mentioned that Word takes a very long time to start up. I
timed it at 1 minute.

I ran Windows Update and Office Update, and the Office Update detected a
need for an Office 2000 service pack. I did not load it.

Can anyone suggest from these symptoms the reason why Word (and not any
other Office program) starts so slowly? If so, what should I do to solve it?

Does the Office Update issue mean I need to reinstall Office '03?

Charles Kenyon

You've asked multiple questions, most unrelated to your subject line. Many
people here who answer questions use the subject lines to determine which
posts to read so you may not get responses from the person with the most
knowledge posting this way. Try posting with a single question per post,
with a clear subject line for each post to get the best answers.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.