Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default automatic mail-merge to saved document

I already have a Word document that does mail-merge from a .txt file, this
works fine. What I'd like to do is automate the process so that the user
doesn't have to click the "merge to new document" button. I'd also like to
automate the Save process so that as soon as the document is merged, the new
document is saved as a Word document. Ideally, I'd like to control the name
of the new document each time by assigning it a date/time stamp name, or
something similar. The main objective is to automate the process so that
when the merge document opens, it automatically performs the merge, then
automatically saves the resulting document to a new (unique) name, then
automatically closes the original document. Simple? Macro?

For example; I have a mail merge document named notice1.doc that has a data
source (.txt file) defined and all of the associated mail merge info ste up.
What I would like to happen is when the user opens notice1.doc, it opens
Word, opens notice1.doc, performs the mail merge, saves the new document as
yyyymmdd-hhmmss.doc, then closes completely.

Thanks for anyone that can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you are using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to Separate
Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from that site will
allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename taken
from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dennis" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dennis Dennis is offline

Doug:
I've reviewed Mr. Mayor's add-in as well as your macro. Both accomplish
what I want, but ideally I'd like something that is maybe a combination of
the two. I really like the way his add-in template works, except that I'd
like to "hard code" some of the parameters. My situation is that I want to
set the parameters FOR the user, rather than them have the freedom to make
choices.

For example, the question "Do you want to create a separate document for
each record?" I would like to retain. I want the user to be able to merge to
individual documents, but I also want them to be able to do a single
merge/print.

The remaining questions though, such as Select Filename Field, path to the
folder, create PDF files..... all of those parameters I would like to
essentially hard code, so that the user doesn't see them.

I was able to look at and edit your macro, but I can't figure out how to
make changes to the add-in template. Is that possible? Do I have everything
I need to edit the add-in?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you are using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to Separate
Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from that site will
allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename taken
from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dennis" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Actually, the add-in is mine too. Graham graciously makes it available from
his website.

It is certainly possible to modify the add-in so that the mergefield that
contains the field name is hard coded into it. Of course, it will only then
work if such a field is included in the data source.

After unchecking the box against the add-in in the ToolsTemplates and
Add-ins dialog, you can open the file via FileOpen and then go to the
Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and make whatever changes you wish (at your
risk).

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you are using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to
Separate
Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from that site
will
allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename
taken
from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news I already have a Word document that does mail-merge from a .txt file,