Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Default Wd2007 Cleartype Bugs?

So I've been using Word 2007 for a couple of days and I've noticed that
Cleartype doesn't seem to be applied to some fonts at certain zoom settings.
They look downright horrendous (jagged).

I don't remember this ever being a problem with Word 2003 and using
WinXP's regular Cleartype. Am I the only one... or did I just never notice
this in Word 2003 (or 2002)?

Check out this document: http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wdcleartype.doc
Try viewing at zooms like 134% (or experiment) to see what I mean.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

I'd assume that's a problem with the font? Meaning the font doesn't
support ClearType?
Office 2007 must be using a built-in cleartype mechanism (not the OSes)
to render fonts with ClearType. Word 2003 doesn't have anything like
that, so there it is just the OS doing it.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

So I've been using Word 2007 for a couple of days and I've noticed that
Cleartype doesn't seem to be applied to some fonts at certain zoom settings.
They look downright horrendous (jagged).

I don't remember this ever being a problem with Word 2003 and using
WinXP's regular Cleartype. Am I the only one... or did I just never notice
this in Word 2003 (or 2002)?

Check out this document: http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wdcleartype.doc
Try viewing at zooms like 134% (or experiment) to see what I mean.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

It seemed the OS was doing just fine too.
Unfortunately, if you turn off Office 2007's Cleartype option, it seems no
cleartype- not even the OS's- is applied.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

So I've been using Word 2007 for a couple of days and I've noticed that
Cleartype doesn't seem to be applied to some fonts at certain zoom
settings.
They look downright horrendous (jagged).

I don't remember this ever being a problem with Word 2003 and using
WinXP's regular Cleartype. Am I the only one... or did I just never
notice
this in Word 2003 (or 2002)?

Check out this document: http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wdcleartype.doc
Try viewing at zooms like 134% (or experiment) to see what I mean.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

I just tested this using Word 2003 with WinXP ClearType:On and it looks
perfect. Fonts looks FANTASTIC at every and any zoom that I tried. Word
2007... not so much. In fact, they look downright horrible (jagged beyond
belief) at certain zooms. Man this is a serious DOWNGRADE!

You throw in the over-blinking / disappearing cursor (not the mouse... the
cursor!) when I'm typing and this version of Office is most certainly a
contender for Uninstallation. First IE7 and now this.... I've never seen
this level of bad software come from Microsoft... ever! Still, I love
Outlook 2007 (it fixed all my VPN/Disconnected Cached Exchange woes). This
is a tough decision.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

So I've been using Word 2007 for a couple of days and I've noticed that
Cleartype doesn't seem to be applied to some fonts at certain zoom
settings.
They look downright horrendous (jagged).

I don't remember this ever being a problem with Word 2003 and using
WinXP's regular Cleartype. Am I the only one... or did I just never
notice
this in Word 2003 (or 2002)?

Check out this document: http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wdcleartype.doc
Try viewing at zooms like 134% (or experiment) to see what I mean.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

How about you use an Office 2007 font instead? They look great with
ClearType.
Also, are you running the latest driver for your graphics card? If not,
I'd suggest to get it.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

So I've been using Word 2007 for a couple of days and I've noticed that
Cleartype doesn't seem to be applied to some fonts at certain zoom
settings.
They look downright horrendous (jagged).

I don't remember this ever being a problem with Word 2003 and using
WinXP's regular Cleartype. Am I the only one... or did I just never
notice
this in Word 2003 (or 2002)?

Check out this document: http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wdcleartype.doc
Try viewing at zooms like 134% (or experiment) to see what I mean.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

I was just reading up on the new "optimized" set of fonts. I still don't see
why the older fonts (like Garamond) look like utter crap (at certain zooms)
in Office 2007 while they look beautiful and perfect in the previous
versions of Office. I'm not sure I understand the "improvement" here.

WinXP seemed to apply ClearType just fine to these fonts... why won't Office
2007?

--

:

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

So I've been using Word 2007 for a couple of days and I've noticed
that
Cleartype doesn't seem to be applied to some fonts at certain zoom
settings.
They look downright horrendous (jagged).

I don't remember this ever being a problem with Word 2003 and using
WinXP's regular Cleartype. Am I the only one... or did I just never
notice
this in Word 2003 (or 2002)?

Check out this document:
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wdcleartype.doc
Try viewing at zooms like 134% (or experiment) to see what I mean.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

*shrugs* I don't know?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***