Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Dictionary Problem

Word 2000 SP3, Win2000Pro

My personal dictionary is not registering one particular word that I have
added. It registers all the other words I have entered, and the word is
definitely there and remains there after shutdown, etc. When the spellchecker
alights upon the word, it doesnt allow it, it doesnt give any other word
options, and also it doesnt allow €śAdd€ť as an option.

FYI: the word is €śAdds€ť.

Also, I remember seeing on this Forum a comment that you can have
€śdictionary€ť that contains words that are €śnot€ť allowed, but cannot remember
what terms to use for a useful search. Can you remind me how a
€śNot-Dictionary€ť is created and maintained?

Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm not sure I understand...

The word "adds" is a legitimate word, so I don't see why the spell checker
"...alights upon it..." in the first place, let alone why you would need to
add it to a custom dictionary. Also, since it is an allowable word there
would be no reason to offer another form of the verb any more than it would
for any other (ie, "walk" to replace "walks").

Further, if the word is in the dictionary (main or custom) it *should* be
accepted, not that it *shouldn't*.

Can you clarify exactly what you are expecting?

BTW - IIRC, the exceptions dictionary feature has been broken for some time,
but I'm not sure & have never used it. Perhaps someone else can comment on
that.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000 SP3, Win2000Pro

My personal dictionary is not registering one particular word that I have
added. It registers all the other words I have entered, and the word is
definitely there and remains there after shutdown, etc. When the
spellchecker
alights upon the word, it doesn't allow it, it doesn't give any other word
options, and also it doesn't allow "Add" as an option.

FYI: the word is "Adds".

Also, I remember seeing on this Forum a comment that you can have
"dictionary" that contains words that are "not" allowed, but cannot
remember
what terms to use for a useful search. Can you remind me how a
"Not-Dictionary" is created and maintained?

Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Thanks for replying.
I agree with your first comment, that "adds" is a legitimate word, but I
added it to the dictionary because my spellchecker continually displayed it
as incorrect. So I manually added it to the .dic file. And still the word is
found by the checker.

What I am expecting is that the spellchecker will never again find the word
to be incorrect. I have removed it from the .dic file, closed down, then
rechecked. Rerun Spellchecker, the word is found. Reinsert the word back into
the .dic file. Rerun and the word is found again. Frustrating, especially as
the documents I work with usually have 20+ occurrences (obviously using
Ignore All helps).

The Exceptions Dictionary (IIRC ??) would be great to use as the authors I
deal with constantly misspell many terms we use and I would like a quick &
easy way of finding these once their copy has been copied into the new
document.

If anyone out there can answer mine and CyberTaz's query, we would be
grateful.

Many thanks
DeanH

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000 SP3, Win2000Pro

My personal dictionary is not registering one particular word that I have
added. It registers all the other words I have entered, and the word is
definitely there and remains there after shutdown, etc. When the
spellchecker
alights upon the word, it doesn't allow it, it doesn't give any other word
options, and also it doesn't allow "Add" as an option.

FYI: the word is "Adds".

Also, I remember seeing on this Forum a comment that you can have
"dictionary" that contains words that are "not" allowed, but cannot
remember
what terms to use for a useful search. Can you remind me how a
"Not-Dictionary" is created and maintained?

Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I'm as mystified by Dean's description as you are. We'll just have to wait
for a clarification, if there is one.

The exclusion dictionary feature isn't broken, it's just poorly described in
the help. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ordFromDic.htm
for better instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000 SP3, Win2000Pro

My personal dictionary is not registering one particular word that I
have added. It registers all the other words I have entered, and the
word is definitely there and remains there after shutdown, etc. When
the spellchecker
alights upon the word, it doesn't allow it, it doesn't give any
other word options, and also it doesn't allow "Add" as an option.

FYI: the word is "Adds".

Also, I remember seeing on this Forum a comment that you can have
"dictionary" that contains words that are "not" allowed, but cannot
remember
what terms to use for a useful search. Can you remind me how a
"Not-Dictionary" is created and maintained?

Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have never had any problem using the exclusion dictionary; for more see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm.

If Word is flagging "adds" as incorrect, it may be because it is in an
existing exclusion dictionary (unlikely if you haven't created one) or
because the word is tagged as a language other than English or because some
character in the word is from a symbol font or the like. Wrt the last
suggestion: words such as "don't" will often be marked as incorrect in
documents converted from WordPerfect because the document was created using
characters from the WP Typographic Symbols font for apostrophes, quotes,
dashes, and the like; since Word doesn't recognize the apostrophe in "don't"
as an apostrophe, it marks the word as incorrect.

"DeanH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Suzanne & Jay - Thanks for the clarification on the Exclusions - as I said,
I wasn't sure but apparently had it confused with something else... now I
just have to remember *what*?:-}

Dean - Are you sure the spell check isn't picking up the word as a
_grammatical_ error as opposed to a _spelling_ error?... does it display in
red or in green?
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
I'm as mystified by Dean's description as you are. We'll just have to wait
for a clarification, if there is one.

The exclusion dictionary feature isn't broken, it's just poorly described
in the help. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ordFromDic.htm for better
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000 SP3, Win2000Pro

My personal dictionary is not registering one particular word that I
have added. It registers all the other words I have entered, and the
word is definitely there and remains there after shutdown, etc. When
the spellchecker
alights upon the word, it doesn't allow it, it doesn't give any
other word options, and also it doesn't allow "Add" as an option.

FYI: the word is "Adds".

Also, I remember seeing on this Forum a comment that you can have
"dictionary" that contains words that are "not" allowed, but cannot
remember
what terms to use for a useful search. Can you remind me how a
"Not-Dictionary" is created and maintained?

Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or some other color: in recent versions of Word, look at the "What do the
underlines in my document mean?" Help topic.

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000 SP3, Win2000Pro

My personal dictionary is not registering one particular word that I
have added. It registers all the other words I have entered, and the
word is definitely there and remains there after shutdown, etc. When
the spellchecker
alights upon the word, it doesn't allow it, it doesn't give any
other word options, and also it doesn't allow "Add" as an option.

FYI: the word is "Adds".

Also, I remember seeing on this Forum a comment that you can have
"dictionary" that contains words that are "not" allowed, but cannot
remember
what terms to use for a useful search. Can you remind me how a
"Not-Dictionary" is created and maintained?

Many thanks
DeanH

Weird Print to File Problem Jon Barron Microsoft Word Help 0 April 12th 06 07:37 PM
Problem with maximized Word window matero Microsoft Word Help 2 April 4th 06 06:04 PM
Borders problem M Page Layout 2 February 8th 06 08:28 AM
Grammer problem Yustme Microsoft Word Help 4 February 5th 06 01:18 AM
Word Problem w/Auto Text and Spell Check and Crashing HW Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 05 04:59 AM