Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca is offline

Default Bizarre paragraph shading behavior

I am writing a long (long document) book with quite a few figures and
especially tables. One, and only one table, is behaving in a way I
have never experienced before in any of my many years of working with
Word.

Each time the document is saved, some cells (the number and pattern
changes from one save to the next) have blue shading on the
"paragraphs" within the cell. This shading can be removed by selecting
the table--or any shaded cells therein--going to FormatBorders and
ShadingShading, clicking on "No Fill," choosing Paragraph under "Apply
To," and then Okay.

The problem is that shading of some cells reappears in this table each
time it is saved. Oddly too, copying it to an empty document removes
the shading from the table but the shading behavior reappears if the
table is copied back into the manuscript document.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and, more
importantly, how to fix it? I am not at all keen on recreating the
whole table from scratch.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi,

It's possible the table has become corrupt. If you convert the table to text
(eg with tab separators), remove any extraneous formatting that you see,
then convert the text back to a table (eg again with tab separators), that
should fix the problem. If you're already using tabs in the table cells, use
another character that the table doesn't have (eg tilde).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca is offline

Thanks for the suggestion.

I played with it a bit late last night and discovered with "Reveal
Formatting" that I had inadvertently applied a table style. Having
then done quite a bit of modification of the table with the table
drawing tools (which is why I didn't relish restarting from scratch) I
had "split up" the colored cells in a strange way. Anyway, all's well
that ends well--once I removed the table style everything returned to
normal.

Thanks again for the suggestion though.

macropod wrote:
Hi,

It's possible the table has become corrupt. If you convert the table to text
(eg with tab separators), remove any extraneous formatting that you see,
then convert the text back to a table (eg again with tab separators), that
should fix the problem. If you're already using tabs in the table cells, use
another character that the table doesn't have (eg tilde).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]