Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Default Mailing Lists

I'm using Office 2003 Excel as my data source, and looking for an easy way
to produce 2 mailing label lists for postage purposes. Would like to
generate one list where the country = Canada, and the second list where the
country =US. Right now my merge label looks like this:

LastName FirstName
Address1 Address2
City Prov
PostalCode
Country

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In essence you should be able to use the Mail Merge recipients dialog box to
select "Canada" for one merge and "US" for another. (Enable the Mail merge
toolbar to get at the Edit Recipients button). Personally I'd probably
output all my labels to a new document first just to ensure that each merge
is doing the right thing before printing anything.

Precisely how you organise that is up to you (make a merge main document,
copy it, set up one for Canada and one for the US, or maybe just do one
merge, change the selection filter, do another merge.

However, if that is what you're asking about, let us know...

Peter Jamieson

"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
I'm using Office 2003 Excel as my data source, and looking for an easy way
to produce 2 mailing label lists for postage purposes. Would like to
generate one list where the country = Canada, and the second list where
the country =US. Right now my merge label looks like this:

LastName FirstName
Address1 Address2
City Prov
PostalCode
Country

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Thanks Peter that seems to do the job I thought I might need some sort of IF
statement. I do run the merge to a new document all the time. Would what you
suggested also work for a blank field. I often have to generate labels for
people who do not have an email address.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It might, but the Edit recipients dialog does not always behave how you
might hope, because Word sometimes generates the wrong SQL. (Typically you
would either click on the header of the dropdown of the filed you want to
filter, and either try to select the value you want, or select Advanced...
and use the "Query Options" dialog to specify the filter.

All I can suggest is that you try it and see, but AFAICR in this case the
usual workaround of checking Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion
at open", and reconnecting and selecting the DDE option probably works.