Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Default Combine records into single docs

Using WD2003. My user has a large database of customers, and many have multi
locations so are listed several times with the same HQ address. She would
like to do a mail merge to produce about a thousand letters--that bit's easy.
But instead of a typical customer getting half a dozen almost identical
letters in one envelope, she'd like to make a single letter with the
differences listed out. One customer would get more than 60 such letters. So
we'd have something like this:
Record 14 - HQ Name
Record 14 - HQ Address Block
Record 14 - Item 1, Item 2, Item 3 (referring to HQ)
Record 15 - Item 1, Item 2, Item 3 (referring to depot A)
Record 16 - Item 1, Item 2, Item 3 (referring to depot B)
I am hoping there's a built-in way to do this as while I am pretty clued up
on the MSO applications I am no good at VBA and would destroy things if let
loose. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jonathan589" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Doug--thank you for your very quick reply, and yes it covers exactly what I
wanted.

I have given my user a workaround for immediate use (edit the merge to just
HQ addresses and insert tables of common info to those that need 'em) but am
saving your links for a better way of doing this job from now on.

Your response speed is what makes me feel that MVPs and other respondents
must have some sort of RSS feed of these questions into Blackberries they
carry about with them even when shopping or in the bathroom! Thanks again.