Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
tbone tbone is offline

Default Word 2002 image placement technique needed

Word is a pretty capable page layout tool, but I can't seem to get it
to do the following satisfactorily.

I want to insert a large figure in the middle of accompanying text. I
want Word to move the figure to the next page if it won't fit on the
current page, yet I want the text to continue to flow independent of
the placement of the image. It's kinda like a footnote in a way, but
I've not had any success with that (if the image is bumped to the next
page, the line with the footnote reference is also bumped, defeating
the purpose).

So I want the text to run continuously, while allowing the image to
appear unbroken at the next opportunity. I want to avoid a helf empty
page because of a large image.

Thanks
tbone
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Tbone

tbone wrote:
Word is a pretty capable page layout tool,

And that's a debatable statement. :-)

but I can't seem to get it to do the following satisfactorily.

I want to insert a large figure in the middle of accompanying text. I
want Word to move the figure to the next page if it won't fit on the
current page, yet I want the text to continue to flow independent of
the placement of the image. It's kinda like a footnote in a way, but
I've not had any success with that (if the image is bumped to the next
page, the line with the footnote reference is also bumped, defeating
the purpose).

So I want the text to run continuously, while allowing the image to
appear unbroken at the next opportunity. I want to avoid a helf empty
page because of a large image.

Well, that's the other big disadvantage of Word's shape handling (see
also the thread "Pictures (right/left align) cut off after being
anchored to paragr": you want a floating picture, and such a thingy must
be anchored to a paragraph. And that paragraph needs to be on the same
page. No workaround I'm aware of (at least none that survives a reflow).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word isn't a page layout tool at all. There is little concept of page in the
application.

You are probably not going to be able to achieve exactly what you want, but
it would be possible to ensure that the picture is always on the same page
as the text and have the text flow around it.

Open the header view and insert the image on the page. Set its layout
property to wrap the text as required. Position and size the image on the
page. It will always be in that position later.

With the image selected, press ALT+F3 save the Autotext with a suitable
name.

Delete the image.

Find the text you wish it to accompany and bookmark it.

In the header add the following field construction
{ If { PAGE } = { PAGEREF Bookmarkname } Insert the autotext here }

This will display the picture on the page that contains the text, with the
text on that page wrapped around it.