Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Dave is offline

Default Page numbering-Multi sections

Hi,
I have a 4 section doc of 30 pages in total and have had quite some trouble
with footer page and section numbers. The pages as viewed are fine, but not
when printed. The first section (Cover page) prints without a footer as per
requirement. The second and third sections print Page 2 of 3, Page 3 of 4,
etc.
The code I have used is Page {PAGE} of {SECTIONPAGES}
The actual page numbers are correct, but the section number is only the page
number plus one, so I do not have a total page tally.
Any help please
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

The following article may help you:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,
I have a 4 section doc of 30 pages in total and have had quite some trouble
with footer page and section numbers. The pages as viewed are fine, but not
when printed. The first section (Cover page) prints without a footer as per
requirement. The second and third sections print Page 2 of 3, Page 3 of 4,
etc.
The code I have used is Page {PAGE} of {SECTIONPAGES}
The actual page numbers are correct, but the section number is only the page
number plus one, so I do not have a total page tally.
Any help please
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used an Odd Page section start and Word has had to add a blank
even page, the blank page is unfortunately counted as the first page of the
section, which is technically correct, since it occurs after the section
break, but logically incorrect since it is not numbered 1.

Rereading your question, however, it appears that perhaps you are *not*
restarting numbering in each section and therefore want the total number of
pages in the document; in that case, you should be using the NUMPAGES field
instead of SECTIONPAGES. This is what you will get automatically if you
insert the Page X of Y AutoText entry from the Header and Footer toolbar.