Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Mark is offline

Default Version Numbers for Word Documents

We use a common "master document" for our system documentation and use Word
2003 to modify it. On a case-by-case basis, we copy this document to a
separate folder and make needed modifications. Through the course of this
work, the version number keeps increasing. Prior to releasing the document to
an end-user, I would like to be able to reset the version number. Once the
document is released, then the version number will be allowed to increase
again as we would made additions to the specific document. How can I reset
the number?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Mark

Mark wrote:
We use a common "master document" for our system documentation and use Word
2003 to modify it.

"Master Document" is a very specific feature in Word (which increases
the complexity of a normal document and should only be handled after a
lot of preparation and, even then, with great care). What exactly are
you using?

On a case-by-case basis, we copy this document to a
separate folder and make needed modifications.

So far, it all sounds whether you should in fact be using a document
template (*.dot). Any unmentioned reason why you don't?

Through the course of this
work, the version number keeps increasing.

I'm not sitting in front of Word 2003 right now, so I have to ask again:
what feature are you using as that version number?

Prior to releasing the document to
an end-user, I would like to be able to reset the version number. Once the
document is released, then the version number will be allowed to increase
again as we would made additions to the specific document. How can I reset
the number?

See above (cannot answer before I know exactly what you are dealing
with). There might be a very simple way to reset that number, OTOH using
a template would be even simpler.

HTH
Robert
--