Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle Michelle is offline

Default Why won't my data merge in a header?

I just created a letterhead and put contact name and address on first page as
merge codes. I then created a header for the second page using the merge
code for contact name there too. But it didn't merge the name into the
header, though it did it on the address part. It just shows the merge code in
the header once the merge is complete. What do I need to do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try using Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the fields in the document.
You may need to do it twice.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Michelle" wrote in message
I just created a letterhead and put contact name and address on first page
as
merge codes. I then created a header for the second page using the merge
code for contact name there too. But it didn't merge the name into the
header, though it did it on the address part. It just shows the merge code
in
the header once the merge is complete. What do I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Try using Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the fields in the document.
You may need to do it twice.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Thanks as always for your prompt reply. That didn't work, but I think I
know why. There is no actual "2nd page" when the merge is complete. It's a
blank letter and the second page will only appear if it's an extra long
letter and spills onto a second page. I placed the merge codes for the
second page in the header and clicked "different first page", so the second
page does not actually exist during the merge. Is there a way around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I cannot replicate the problem that you are having with a main document set
up with a mergefield in the Primary Header (the header that appears on pages
other than the first page of a document when the Different First Page option
is set, and using a mail merge main document that consists of only one page
before the merge is executed. Upon executing the merge with data that
causes a second page to be added to the document, the data contained in the
mergefield that is in the Primary Header does appear.

In your original post, you say that the mergecode appears in the header by
which I assume you mean something like { MERGEFIELD ContactName } If that
is the case, it is an indication the the field codes need to be toggle off
using Alt+F9 as originally suggested.

If that is not the sort of code that you are seeing, what does it look like?

--

"Michelle" wrote in message

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Try using Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the fields in the document.
You may need to do it twice.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Thanks as always for your prompt reply. That didn't work, but I think I
know why. There is no actual "2nd page" when the merge is complete.
It's a
blank letter and the second page will only appear if it's an extra long
letter and spills onto a second page. I placed the merge codes for the
second page in the header and clicked "different first page", so the
second
page does not actually exist during the merge. Is there a way around
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle Michelle is offline

I have a one page "blank"letterhead. Just in case someone writes a long
letter, I put the contact name in a header to go on the second page. I used
the same merge code as the one I used for the addressee(it's coming from a
database program). When I merge, evrything is fine on first page. But if I
type a long letter and the second page appears, the header does not contain
addressee. On further investigation, the addressee in the second page header
seems to have turned into text so no wonder it's not merging! How did this
happen and is there a fix? I did try making a bookmark/ref but that did not
work either. The only thing that does work is if I make a page break in my
merge document. Then the header merges perfectly. But then the typist would
have to continually delete the second page on short letters. There must be a
better way.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In the mailmerge main document, insert a page break if necessary so that
there is a second page and then Press Alt+F9. What do you see in the second
page header? It should be { MERGEFIELD [fieldname] } where [fieldname] is
the name of the mergefield.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle Michelle is offline

Yes, it is a field name, and as long as I have a page break, it merges
perfectly. I'd like to avoid having the page break since the vast majority
of letters are one page. Any other ideas?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

In the mailmerge main document, insert a page break if necessary so that
there is a second page and then Press Alt+F9. What do you see in the second
page header? It should be { MERGEFIELD [fieldname] } where [fieldname] is
the name of the mergefield.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

My request to have you do that was just to ensure that it is actually a
mergefield in the header. You do not need to have the manual page break in
the letter as if the merged information causes the text in the letter to
flow onto a second page, the information from the mergefield in that header
should appear. As this does not seem to be happening in your case, send me
the mailmerge main document if you like and I will take a look and try and
work out what is going wrong. Send it to dkr[at]mvps.org