Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
haliburton girl haliburton girl is offline

Default directory

HI,
I am making a directory again this year. It is all working well, even the
commas in the list. However, at the end of the list of each person, there is
a comma where I would like a period. Can you tell me the correct way to make
it know that it is the end of the list and put a period.
thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Tell us some more about how you have this set up.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"haliburton girl" wrote in
message ...
HI,
I am making a directory again this year. It is all working well, even the
commas in the list. However, at the end of the list of each person, there
is
a comma where I would like a period. Can you tell me the correct way to
make
it know that it is the end of the list and put a period.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
haliburton girl haliburton girl is offline

Hi Doug,
I have tried to copy and paste the formulas in this email box but it only
comes out in "word" form, not formulas.

I am making a directory of names, with address, etc and then a list of their
interests. The Word doc. merges with an excel file and works great. I had
trouble with commas last year but fixed that.
the IF statements run as follows: funny bracket IF funny bracket "biography"
funny bracket"" "funny bracket "biography" \*charformat funny bracket, "
funny bracket then it starts to the next one. I am sorry but I can't find
the funny bracket to make it clearer!

I get a list:
songwriting, biography, devotionals,

But always the last one in the list ends with a comma and I would like it to
end with a period. Like so.

songwriting, biography, devotionals.

Can you help me with the formula?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Tell us some more about how you have this set up.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"haliburton girl" wrote in
message ...
HI,
I am making a directory again this year. It is all working well, even the
commas in the list. However, at the end of the list of each person, there
is
a comma where I would like a period. Can you tell me the correct way to
make
it know that it is the end of the list and put a period.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You should use a formula in the Excel file that combines the interests an
inserts the commas and period where required all into one cell that you then
merge into Word. Easier than using the formula in Word.

But in Word, you would use the formula

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Biography } "" { MERGEFIELD Biography } }{IF {
MERGEFIELD NextInterest } "" ", { MERGEFIELD NextInterest } "." } etc.

That is the comma and the space is only inserted if the next interest
exists, otherwise a period is inserted.

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert the { } and you use Alt+F9 to toggle off
their display.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Tell us some more about how you have this set up.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"haliburton girl" wrote in
message ...
HI,
I am making a directory again this year. It is all working well, even
the
commas in the list. However, at the end of the list of each person,
there
is
a comma where I would like a period. Can you tell me the correct way to
make
it know that it is the end of the list and put a period.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
haliburton girl haliburton girl is offline

Doug,
Just a quick question:
Do I actually insert the word nextinterest or is that where I type in the
listed?
Jan