Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Diane Diane is offline

Default Error when merging Outlook contacts to make labels

When I try to mail merge my Outlook contacts to make labels by using the
toolbar button "mail merge use address book" and clicking "outlook address
book" I get an error message which reads "word was unable to open the data
source".

I have also tried to merge by starting in Outlook and creating a merge file,
but once I get into Word and complete the Mail Merge Helper Dialog and click
"close", I still get empty labels.

I have successfully merged in the past (the last three Decembers), but
cannot figure out what my problem is now.

Any help is much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do you have the same versions of Word and Outlook?

See the "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

If all else fails, you may need to export the address list from Outlook into
an Excel Spreadsheet or a .csv file and use that as the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Diane" wrote in message
When I try to mail merge my Outlook contacts to make labels by using the
toolbar button "mail merge use address book" and clicking "outlook address
book" I get an error message which reads "word was unable to open the data
source".

I have also tried to merge by starting in Outlook and creating a merge
file,
but once I get into Word and complete the Mail Merge Helper Dialog and
click
"close", I still get empty labels.

I have successfully merged in the past (the last three Decembers), but
cannot figure out what my problem is now.

Any help is much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Diane Diane is offline

Yes, my Word and Outlook are both 2002 and came bundled. They have both been
updated with SP3.

I've read the link and I also tried your advice about exporting to Excel and
then using that as a data source. I got the data into Excel, but once again
came up with blank labels when trying to import into Word labels. At this
point, I think I'll try to see if the files work with Word on another
computer (and reinstalling Word on mine if I can get that to work). Thanks
for trying. If you can think of anything else, I'm all ears.