Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tom Tom is offline

Default Apply Para Keep With Next command to two adjacent styles?

I have a long document with many images and captions below the images.
Sometimes due to page layout, the captions spill onto the next page
without the image. To fix this, I select the caption and image and
apply the Para Keep With Next command. This locks them together on the
same page.

I would like to automate this with a macro. All my images are in one
style (image) and all the captions are in another style (caption). Is
it possible to create a macro that says, find all instances where the
caption style is adjacent to the image style, and apply the Para Keep
With Next command?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If you make sure to always apply the €śimage€ť style to your image paragraphs,
you do not need a macro but only a small but important modification of the
image style:
Modify the _style definition_ of the image style to €śKeep with next€ť (via
Paragraph Line and Page Breaks tab).

This will force every paragraph with the image style to be on the same page
as the following paragraph (i.e. the caption).

You should not apply "Keep with next" to the caption style or any caption
paragraphs since it will force the caption paragraph to be on the same page
as the following paragraph. This may result in an image and caption being
moved the the next page even if there is room for both on a page. To remove
this setting from existing captions, you can use Find and Replace (More
button Format Paragraph - search for paragraphs with caption style and
"Keep with next", replace by "Don't keep with next").

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Tom" wrote:

I have a long document with many images and captions below the images.
Sometimes due to page layout, the captions spill onto the next page
without the image. To fix this, I select the caption and image and
apply the Para Keep With Next command. This locks them together on the
same page.

I would like to automate this with a macro. All my images are in one
style (image) and all the captions are in another style (caption). Is
it possible to create a macro that says, find all instances where the
caption style is adjacent to the image style, and apply the Para Keep
With Next command?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tom Tom is offline

Thanks Lene. That works well and is much easier to implement.