Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WGS Brown WGS Brown is offline

Default Keeping table together in merged directory

I've set up a membership application using a table and merging names in a
mail merge directory. The merged document splits the last table on the page
across the page. How can I get the merged document to not split the results
of the merge across pages? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I guess you mean the last row of the table being split rather than the last
table.

In the mailmerge main document, from the Tables menu, select Properties and
then go to the Row tab of the Table Properties dialog and uncheck the "Allow
row to break across pages" box.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"WGS Brown" WGS wrote in message
I've set up a membership application using a table and merging names in a
mail merge directory. The merged document splits the last table on the
page
across the page. How can I get the merged document to not split the
results
of the merge across pages? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WGS Brown WGS Brown is offline

No, the table splits anywhere, not just the last row.
Yes, I tried unchecking the "Allow row..." No effect. The same problem
occurs when I don't use a table. I want to make sure an entire directory
entry is kept together (table or not)

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I guess you mean the last row of the table being split rather than the last
table.

In the mailmerge main document, from the Tables menu, select Properties and
then go to the Row tab of the Table Properties dialog and uncheck the "Allow
row to break across pages" box.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"WGS Brown" WGS wrote in message
I've set up a membership application using a table and merging names in a
mail merge directory. The merged document splits the last table on the
page
across the page. How can I get the merged document to not split the
results
of the merge across pages? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am not quite sure what you mean by a directory entry, but if it is
something like what would appear on an address label (i.e. multiline),
instead of using paragraph returns at the end of each line, use Shift+Enter
to insert a line break and then format the paragraph that forms the entry so
that the Lines are kept together.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WGS Brown WGS Brown is offline

Thanks for the tip using Shift-enter for multi-line results.

"Directory Entry" In mail merge it's the last selection in "Select Document
Type" e.g. I want more than one entry per page

Reset: I've used a table to replicate a membership appplication form and
then successfully merged names of our volunteers. My problem is I can't seem
to keep the table together in the merged doc. In the source documnt, I've
tried "Keeping paragraph together" and 'Don't allow row to break" No success.

If I don't use a table for the membership form, I don't see how to keep all
the merged results looking exaclty the same. e.g.

Name: My New Member Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Address: 12345 Some Street
City: South Daytona Beach St: FL Zip: 32127

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If the table won't fit on the page as you have it now formatted, you will
either have to reduce the margins or reduce the size of the font. Nothing
you do in the source document is going to have any impact. It is in the
mailmerge main document that you must pay attention to the formatting.