Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rshed rshed is offline

Default Merge problem with Access DB

Using MS Access Query as my data source, I only can merge data w/o putting
any criteria in the query. Once I ask the query to retrieve a particular
data, the query will retrieve it, but Word will not populate the data. I do
not want the client to have to use the "Mail Merge Recipients" to select a
group of clients. After the query retrieves the group selected, I want to
merge the data by simply clicking the "View Merge Data" button. I can do
this already w/o any criteria in the query, but I will end up with the whole
DB being populated in Word.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word, from the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. After
doing that, when you attach the data source to the mail merge main document,
you will be asked for the method by which the attachment should be made.
Try the various options. Probably the DDE one will allow you to do what you
want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"rshed" wrote in message
Using MS Access Query as my data source, I only can merge data w/o putting
any criteria in the query. Once I ask the query to retrieve a particular
data, the query will retrieve it, but Word will not populate the data. I
do
not want the client to have to use the "Mail Merge Recipients" to select a
group of clients. After the query retrieves the group selected, I want to
merge the data by simply clicking the "View Merge Data" button. I can do
this already w/o any criteria in the query, but I will end up with the
whole
DB being populated in Word.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rshed rshed is offline

Doug,
No questions were asked after I checked the "Confirm Conversion at Open"
box. Word went straight into my merge document w/o giving me the option to
choose a method.
--

"rshed" wrote in message
Using MS Access Query as my data source, I only can merge data w/o putting
any criteria in the query. Once I ask the query to retrieve a particular
data, the query will retrieve it, but Word will not populate the data. I
do
not want the client to have to use the "Mail Merge Recipients" to select a
group of clients. After the query retrieves the group selected, I want to
merge the data by simply clicking the "View Merge Data" button. I can do
this already w/o any criteria in the query, but I will end up with the
whole
DB being populated in Word.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rshed rshed is offline

That works, but it's only a temporary fix. When I exit Word and pull the
query again for merging with Word, I get the same results (no records).