Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kay Kay is offline

Default Printing problem with size of document

Can anyone help me? I am working on our newletter and usually use Publisher
but I have found I can make the size of the document smaller when I use
photos by using Word. The problem I am having though - my entire document is
only about 24000kb but when I send it to a printer it becomes a massive 175
mb which slows our printer down to about 2 pages a minute instead of the 22
it is capable of. Does anyone know why my document makes this conversion to
the larger size? I checked the printer setting and it does not say "best"
quality so I can't figure it out. I just want to be able to print faster. I
would appreciate anyhelp or if anyone knows how to shrink a document for
printing. Thanks.
--
Kay
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you send a document to the printer, it has to be "rasterized"
(converted to a bitmap). You can cut down the size somewhat by using
printer-resident fonts, but in general print spool files are much larger
than the document.

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This happens automatically when you click Print. That is the explanation of
why the print spool file is so large. Instead of being saved in the form of
ASCII text, it is saved as a bitmap picture.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you send a document to the printer, it has to be "rasterized"
(converted to a bitmap). You can cut down the size somewhat by using
printer-resident fonts, but in general print spool files are much larger
than the document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.