Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Sherrytherealtor Sherrytherealtor is offline

Default How do I create a Table of Contents with Leaders

I created a table of contents simply by copying and pasting it from a
different document. I cannot seem to utilize the "reference/index tab"
buttons for TOCs. Everytime i attempt to convert or use it, i get an error
stating no tabs were found. I need to add leaders (the dots) between the
item and its page number.

Is there a way to insert the dots/leaders in between a pre-existing
document/table of contents. Can I convert this pre-existing document into a
word TOC?

i.e.
Tenant....................................1
Terms.....................................2

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

It's not clear whether what you copied was a text TOC or a TOC field. If you
press Alt+F9, do you see a field code? If so, then in order to make the TOC
work in your document, you will need to have headings to base it on. If it's
a text TOC, then it won't apply to the current document at all. You can add
tab stops (with leader) in TOC styles the same way you do in any other
style.

For more on TOCs, see http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"Sherrytherealtor" wrote in
message ...
I created a table of contents simply by copying and pasting it from a
different document. I cannot seem to utilize the "reference/index tab"
buttons for TOCs. Everytime i attempt to convert or use it, i get an

error
stating no tabs were found. I need to add leaders (the dots) between the
item and its page number.

Is there a way to insert the dots/leaders in between a pre-existing
document/table of contents. Can I convert this pre-existing document into

word TOC?

i.e.
Tenant....................................1
Terms.....................................2

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Sherrytherealtor Sherrytherealtor is offline

ALT F9 did not work.

I am in a simply word document. I did not copy a Field TOC. It was a
simply text document wherein the author simply tabbed over (i believe) to the
right after typing the first entry and then hit a page number. There is no
dots(leaders) in between the entry and the page number. It is about 3 pages
long. I copied this document and pasted it into another contract. I would
like to put leaders in between the entries and page numbers.

I am not positive on how to create a TOC from a pre-existing text document.

Thanks.

Sherry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the creator of the previous document used a given style for the TOC
entries, then you can modify the style (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...yAStyle.html); if not, you'll
have to select the TOC paragraphs and add/modify the tab stops (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm).

"Sherrytherealtor" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's not clear whether what you copied was a text TOC or a TOC field. If

you
press Alt+F9, do you see a field code? If so, then in order to make the

TOC
work in your document, you will need to have headings to base it on. If

it's
a text TOC, then it won't apply to the current document at all. You can

add
tab stops (with leader) in TOC styles the same way you do in any other
style.

For more on TOCs, see

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

newsgroup so