Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Default Separating pages (template) into individual files

I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200 employees.
Instead of creating an individual file with the template the person who
created it instead placed all 200 employees' info into one large file. Is
there a way to separate each filled in template for each of the 200 employees
into a single file for each employee instead of one large single file as it
is now? I hope this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suppose if you know something about programming, you could do it that way
but since I am NOT a programmer, I can't say for sure.

If your programming skills are as non-existent as mine, you've got a bit of
work ahead of you. You'll have to do a lot of File - Save As and boatloads
of cutting. Do NOT forget to do a SAVE AS!!!! And keep a copy of the file as
it is now - just in case.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Sue" wrote in message
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200 employees.
Instead of creating an individual file with the template the person who
created it instead placed all 200 employees' info into one large file. Is
there a way to separate each filled in template for each of the 200
employees
into a single file for each employee instead of one large single file as
it
is now? I hope this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Sue

It's possible to write a macro that will save your document into 200 smaller
documents. But you would need to be able to specify where to make the
breaks - is it as obvious as pages 1 and 2 for employee 1, pages 3 and 4 for
employee 2 etc?

The real issue is how to name the documents. You don't want to end up with
200 documents named 1.doc, 2.doc ... 200.doc etc. If you had that, it would
take just as long to open each one, look at the content, close it and
re-name it as it would to create the 200 documents manually.

Is there some systematic way of identifying text in your current document
(eg the first paragraph on every page has the employee's family name)?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Sue" wrote in message
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200 employees.
Instead of creating an individual file with the template the person who
created it instead placed all 200 employees' info into one large file. Is
there a way to separate each filled in template for each of the 200
employees
into a single file for each employee instead of one large single file as
it
is now? I hope this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Hi Sue,

This is a tough nut to crack.

Have you talked to the originator of this file to ask whether another form
of presentation is possible? It's completely plausible that person just
thought you'd prefer the data in a single file but has other options.

It's also possible there are legal requirements (or worse, corporate
requirements) covering the transfer of HR data that may have forced the
sender's hand.

IAC, if you can't fix the source of the data you'll need to give more
information. What separates the data about each employee? Is it consistent?

Dan

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info into
one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in template
for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each employee
instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope this is clear
. . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

I thought this would be a tough one! Right now I am on winter break. As
soon as I go back to work I am going to talk to the secretary who created and
forwarded the document to me. I highly doubt she will be able to help. I do
not know programing or how to create macros so I think I will have to do the
old copy and paste and save. Time consuming for sure but I don't see any
other way. I don't know what the person was thinking when they created this
document. The templates first input is last name, first name. If I knew
programing I'm sure that's how I would create the 200 single files, by last
name. Oh well . . . I know what I'll be doing for about a week. Thanks for
all your help everyone!!!!! I really appreciate your answers.

Sue

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info into
one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in template
for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each employee
instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope this is clear
. . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro business is not the difficult part. I am sure that someone will be
happy to help you with that. There's already a macro on my web site at
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm that will split the
document by section break.

What your document needs then are the section breaks between each item.

In order to put them into the document (if they are already there you are
laughing) it would be essential to find something common to all entries
that identifies the start of each record or the end of each record or
appears in exactly the same place in each item, so that the macro can find
that point and add a break (or split the document).

You have said that each item starts with last name first name. Had it said
Last Name - Smith First Name - John then that could easily be found, but
Smith John alone doesn't help.

What about the end of the previous entry? What about the space between the
entries - are there (say) a number of paragraph marks more than appear
within the entries? Does each entry have the same number of lines?

So if you want to automate this, what is common to each entry?

Sue wrote:
I thought this would be a tough one! Right now I am on winter break.
As soon as I go back to work I am going to talk to the secretary who
created and forwarded the document to me. I highly doubt she will be
able to help. I do not know programming or how to create macros so I
think I will have to do the old copy and paste and save. Time
consuming for sure but I don't see any other way. I don't know what
the person was thinking when they created this document. The
templates first input is last name, first name. If I knew programming

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info
into one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in
template for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each
employee instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope
this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Sue

Are you saying that the first paragraph of every second page contains last
name, a space, a comma, and then first name? So the first paragraph of every
second page looks like:

Smith, Mary
Jones Jr, Patrick Albert
Vaughan Williams, Ralph
Bowes-Lyon, Elizabeth

If that's the case, then we could probably come up with something to cut
your file into 200 single files. Let us know.

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info into
one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in template
for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each employee
instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope this is clear
. . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I'd missed the bit about two pages for each record? That being the case, and
if the first line contains the name, then the following macro (ugly but it
works) will split the document into documents each of two pages named with
the content of the first line.

Sub SplitByPages()
Dim sName As String
Dim docName As String
Dim Letters As String
Dim Counter As String
Letters = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\page").Range
With Selection
.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
.InsertBreak Type:=wdPageBreak
.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
End With
Counter = 1
While Counter Letters
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
sName = Selection
docName = "D:\My Documents\Test\Merge\" _
& sName & ".doc"
On Error GoTo oops:
With Selection
.GoTo What:=wdGoToPage, Which:=wdGoToNext, Name:="3"
.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory, Extend:=wdExtend
.Cut
End With
'ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\page").Range.Cut
Documents.Add
With Selection
.Paste
.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Delete Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
End With
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=docName, _
FileFormat:=wdFormatDocument
ActiveWindow.Close
Counter = Counter + 1
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Wend
oops:
End Sub

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info
into one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in
template for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each
employee instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope
this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Each record was created using the same form or template. First line:

Name:

Second line is

Address:

and the form is two pages long. The file is exactly 386 pages (one form for
each of 193 employees).

The last two lines of the form a

signatu

date:

I will give your macro a try (I will of course save an original copy first).
I'm off for xmas break (file is on my work computer). I will let you know
how it goes!

Thank you!

Sue

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info
into one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in
template for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each
employee instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope
this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try the following code:

Dim i As Long, Source As Document, Target As Document
Dim Docname As Range, page2 As Range
Set Source = ActiveDocument
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
Pages = Source.BuiltInDocumentProperties(wdPropertyPages)
i = 0
While i Pages
i = Counter + 2
Set Docname = Source.Paragraphs(1).Range
Docname.Start = Docname.Start + 6
Source.Bookmarks("\Page").Range.Cut
Set Target = Documents.Add
Target.Range.Paste
Set page2 = Source.Bookmarks("\Page").Range
Target.Range.InsertAfter page2.FormattedText
page2.Delete
Target.SaveAs FileName:=Docname
Target.Close
Wend

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the template
the person who created it instead placed all 200 employees' info
into one large file. Is there a way to separate each filled in
template for each of the 200 employees into a single file for each
employee instead of one large single file as it is now? I hope
this is clear . . . I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Note that the macro posted in my reply sends the files to specific folder -
"D:\My Documents\Test\Merge\"
Change that to the location you want your files saved in (not removable
media!!).
It will save the documents with the first line as the new filename.

Sue wrote:
I thought this would be a tough one! Right now I am on winter
break. As soon as I go back to work I am going to talk to the
secretary who created and forwarded the document to me. I highly
doubt she will be able to help. I do not know programming or how
to create macros so I think I will have to do the old copy and
paste and save. Time consuming for sure but I don't see any other
way. I don't know what the person was thinking when they created
this document. The templates first input is last name, first name.
If I knew programming I'm sure that's how I would create the 200

Sue wrote:
I received a single file (400 pages) with information on 200
employees. Instead of creating an individual file with the
template the person who created it instead placed all 200
employees' info into one large file. Is there a way to separate
each filled in template for each of the 200 employees into a
single file for each employee instead of one large single file as
it is now? I hope this is clear . . . I've never seen anything
like this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Shauna,

The first page of the two page form begins with the Company's Name at the
top. Then it asks the employee to fill in the required information in the
form fields below. On the second page it states all information is correct
and confidential and will not be shared. Then there is a place for signature
and date.

I wish I had the document with me but for security it's kept at work. I am
on vacation until after the 2nd of January.

Sue