Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Baretta Baretta is offline

Default Word 2007: Unable to open document "Word has encountered a problem

L.S.,
I cannot open my document. A window appears with the message "Word has
encountered a problem", the location of the file to be opened is displayed
below this message. I only have the option to click [OK].

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Baretta Baretta is offline

This is what I have tried sofar:

Restarted my laptop;

Tried the "Open and repair" option when opening the document. However, the
document is not loaded at all so there is nothing to repair (yet);

Tried to insert the document into a blank document (insert/insert text from
file);

Copied the document to another PC and tried to open it in Word 2003 but to
no avail;

Regards,

"Baretta" wrote:

L.S.,
I cannot open my document. A window appears with the message "Word has
encountered a problem", the location of the file to be opened is displayed
below this message. I only have the option to click [OK].

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmFyZXR0YQ==?=,

I cannot open my document. A window appears with the message "Word has
encountered a problem", the location of the file to be opened is displayed
below this message. I only have the option to click [OK].

Was the document created in the same version of Word you're trying to use to
open it?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Baretta Baretta is offline

Default Word 2007: Unable to open document "Word has encountered a pro

Hi Cindy,

The document was created in Word 2003. About 4 weeks ago, I got Office 2007
installed and all documents worked fine with this version, until now for only
one document.

I always saved the document in 'compatibility mode' so it would be downwards
compatible.

Cheers,

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmFyZXR0YQ==?=,

I cannot open my document. A window appears with the message "Word has
encountered a problem", the location of the file to be opened is displayed
below this message. I only have the option to click [OK].

Was the document created in the same version of Word you're trying to use to
open it?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmFyZXR0YQ==?=,

The document was created in Word 2003. About 4 weeks ago, I got Office 2007
installed and all documents worked fine with this version, until now for

only
one document.

I always saved the document in 'compatibility mode' so it would be downwards
compatible.

From the sound of it, the document has been damaged. Too bad you saved it
(only) in compatibility mode. If you'd saved it in the new format or in the
Word 2003 XML format, the chances of recovery would be much better. But in the
old binary file format...

The only other thing I can suggest would be to use "Recover text from any
file" in Word 2003 to at least get the text.

This is what I have tried sofar:

Restarted my laptop;

Tried the "Open and repair" option when opening the document. However, the
document is not loaded at all so there is nothing to repair (yet);

Tried to insert the document into a blank document (insert/insert text from
file);

Copied the document to another PC and tried to open it in Word 2003 but to
no avail;

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Baretta Baretta is offline

I will do the "Recover text from any file" in Word 2003. When I at least can
get the tekst back that would help me a lot! Where in 2003 can I find this
option?

I will also follow up on your suggestion to save my documents in Word 2007
XML format going forward.

Some Q's though:
It is only possible to open the document in Word 2007, right? It's not
compatible with other Word versions anymore.

From a recovery point of view (as in this case ...), XML format is much
better. In this respect, can you say that XML format is more stable, i.e.
lower risk of getting a damaged document?

I really appreciate your help Cindy. Have a prosperous and above all healthy
new year!

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmFyZXR0YQ==?=,

The document was created in Word 2003. About 4 weeks ago, I got Office 2007
installed and all documents worked fine with this version, until now for

only
one document.

I always saved the document in 'compatibility mode' so it would be downwards
compatible.

From the sound of it, the document has been damaged. Too bad you saved it
(only) in compatibility mode. If you'd saved it in the new format or in the
Word 2003 XML format, the chances of recovery would be much better. But in the
old binary file format...

The only other thing I can suggest would be to use "Recover text from any
file" in Word 2003 to at least get the text.

This is what I have tried sofar:

Restarted my laptop;

Tried the "Open and repair" option when opening the document. However, the
document is not loaded at all so there is nothing to repair (yet);

Tried to insert the document into a blank document (insert/insert text from
file);

Copied the document to another PC and tried to open it in Word 2003 but to
no avail;

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the File Open dialog, click the arrow beside "Files of type" and scroll
down to "Recover Text from Any File."

"Baretta" wrote in message
I will do the "Recover text from any file" in Word 2003. When I at least

can
get the tekst back that would help me a lot! Where in 2003 can I find this
option?

I will also follow up on your suggestion to save my documents in Word 2007
XML format going forward.

Some Q's though:
It is only possible to open the document in Word 2007, right? It's not
compatible with other Word versions anymore.

From a recovery point of view (as in this case ...), XML format is much
better. In this respect, can you say that XML format is more stable, i.e.
lower risk of getting a damaged document?

I really appreciate your help Cindy. Have a prosperous and above all

healthy
new year!

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmFyZXR0YQ==?=,

The document was created in Word 2003. About 4 weeks ago, I got Office

2007
installed and all documents worked fine with this version, until now

for
only
one document.

I always saved the document in 'compatibility mode' so it would be

downwards
compatible.

From the sound of it, the document has been damaged. Too bad you saved

it
[...]

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmFyZXR0YQ==?=,

I will do the "Recover text from any file" in Word 2003. When I at least

can
get the tekst back that would help me a lot! Where in 2003 can I find this
option?

It's a "file type" selection (like "Word document" or "Word template") in
the File/Open dialog box.

Some Q's though:
It is only possible to open the document in Word 2007, right? It's not
compatible with other Word versions anymore.

If you can use the Word 2003 version of XML that would be "better than
nothing".

However, there is a "compatibility pack" for Word 2002 and 2003 that should
be installed automatically if the user has AutoUpdate enabled. It's also
available as a separate download for these versions and Word 2000. This
enables all three versions to open/read/write Office 2007 file formats; the
AutoUpdate version does a better job as the conversion is incorporated in
the winword.exe (the download is just a separate file converter).

From a recovery point of view (as in this case ...), XML format is much
better. In this respect, can you say that XML format is more stable, i.e.
lower risk of getting a damaged document?

Yes, it appears to be more stable ("time will tell", though, just how much).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] chirovef@gmail.com is offline

I have a word 2007 document and I want to open it using word 2003. The
information I get is to choose an encoding that makes my doecument
readable. Windows ( default), Dos and the the other options cannot
open.
Can someone help me on hoe to go about it

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] chirovef@gmail.com is offline

I have a document that I created in word 2007 and I want to open it
using word 2003. The information I get is to choose an encoding that
makes my document readable. Windows ( default), Dos and the the other
options cannot open.
Can someone help me on how to go about it

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Chirovef

wrote:
I have a word 2007 document and I want to open it using word 2003. The
information I get is to choose an encoding that makes my doecument
readable. Windows ( default), Dos and the the other options cannot
open.

See:

How to open and to save Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007 files
in earlier versions of Office
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...23505&x=9&y=12

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against Confirm conversions at open.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP