Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
garyb garyb is offline

Default stacked characters

I've seen on more than a couple of occasions (including today) where
seemingly for no reason the text in the table becomes "garbled", but only in
Normal and Print Layout views. In the Web Layout and Reading Layout views
everything looks fine. If the document is printed it prints out the garbled
view. What it actually looks like is that all of the characters are present,
but have been stacked on top of each other in each of the cells, like using a
typewriter and hitting the keys without the typewriter moving the paper. The
person I've seen it happen to today claims that she was just excecuting the
standard File/Print steps when the text just "got garbled" in the table. This
particular person is a pretty savvy Word user who is very familiar with using
tables. I was called to see if I could help, but in the past all we've done
is lick our wounds and start over. Being that it's happened on at least three
occasions now, it would be great if we knew of a fix for this, and even
better, know what causes it in the ifrst place so we can avoid the problem
altogether. Thanx ahead of time for whatever help someone might be able to
give.
--
garyb
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber Helmut Weber is offline

Hi Gary,

was there installed a new printer driver?
Was the printer changed?

I've been fighting with this in a network for quite a time.
Often I've read in different groups: "Get the newest printer driver".

Not necessarily!
The newest printer driver is the one with the newest bugs.
Check different printer drivers. Older ones, too.

In my case, the error occurred not at the frist attempt to print,
but on every next attempt, across different machines.
So in the morning, if user A was the first to print,
A could print once. After that, for him and all other users
printing failed.
If user B was the first in the office, B could print alright once...

The thing occurred,
after our admin staff had updated the printer driver.

The new driver could not close a print job properly, it seemed.

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003