Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Loy Loy is offline

Default Does Office 2003 contain a scanner program?

Is it possible to scan a document into Word for further editing? I've looked
but I've not been able to find a scan feature anywhere in Office 2003. Would
appreciate any guidance as to the location of the scan function, if there is
one in the program.
Thanks,
Loy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You need two pieces of software for this: the scanner driver, which creates
a graphic image of the original document, and the character recognition
software that converts the graphic to editable text. The scanner driver
comes with the scanner (or try the manufacturer's website), because it's
hardware-specific like a printer driver. Most scanners also come with some
sort of character recognition application (also called OCR); or you can use
Microsoft Imaging which you get as part of Windows, not Office.

"Loy" wrote in message
Is it possible to scan a document into Word for further editing? I've
looked
but I've not been able to find a scan feature anywhere in Office 2003.
Would
appreciate any guidance as to the location of the scan function, if there
is
one in the program.
Thanks,
Loy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

? Microsoft Office Document Imaging is included with (at least some)
versions of Office 2003. Certainly in Office 2003 Professional amongst the
installable Office tools. This is a rudimentary OCR software application
which *may* do what the OP wants.