Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Han Schmitz Han Schmitz is offline

Default Convert Table to Text-dialog missing

HELP !
Someting changed on my computer. How and why I don't know.
Maybe somewhere I changed some settings.
Now, when I have a table in a Word-document and I want to convert this table
to Text, I don't get the standard conversion dialog anymore.
So now I cannot define the tab-character anymore, or select the leves that
must be set to text.
Word immediately changes the vhole table to paragraphed text.

Does anybody know how I can get this dialog-windoe back again?
The option Convert; Text to Table is working OK.

Thank you in advance for your support.
--
Kind regards,

Han Schmitz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SGFuIFNjaG1pdHo=?=,

Someting changed on my computer. How and why I don't know.
Maybe somewhere I changed some settings.
Now, when I have a table in a Word-document and I want to convert this table
to Text, I don't get the standard conversion dialog anymore.
So now I cannot define the tab-character anymore, or select the leves that
must be set to text.
Word immediately changes the vhole table to paragraphed text.

Does anybody know how I can get this dialog-windoe back again?
The option Convert; Text to Table is working OK.

Check your list of macros (Tools/Macro/Macros) for a macro named
TableToOrFromText. Any macro with the same name as a built-in command will
ursurp the command.

The other possibility is that the built-in button has been replaced with a
custom button, pointing to a macro. You could try dragging in the built-in
command from Tools/Customize/Commands, the All Commands category and see if
that gives you the built-in functionality.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Han Schmitz Han Schmitz is offline

Hi Cindy,

Many thanks for your help.
You answer didn't solve my problem, but the direction you mentioned did.
Indeed the problem was within Normal.dot.

When, triggered byyour answer, I installed a very old Normal.dot thing
worked OK!
So it had to be in there somewhere.

It appeared that I had a macro TableToText, that ran OK for years.
Lately I had my PC re-installed. From that moment it didn't work anymore.

So my conclusion is that in Office (a newer release of 2003) some routine
must have been added with that name.
Changing the name of my macro and referencing the macro in my toolbar solved
the problem.

So thank you for your help.
Kind regards,

Han
--
Kind regards,

Han Schmitz

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SGFuIFNjaG1pdHo=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I had a similar experience moving from (IIRC) Word 6.0 to Word 95. The older
versions had macros to apply "smart quotes." The macros were assigned to the
' and " keys. When I upgraded, for some reason the keyboard shortcuts came
along but not the macros, so the keys generated an error message. Nowadays I
think I'd have sense enough to unassign the keyboard shortcuts, but I wasn't
as knowledgeable then. When I finally figured out what was going on, I ended
up having to write (empty) macros with the appropriate names and then delete
them.

"Han Schmitz" wrote in message
[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SGFuIFNjaG1pdHo=?=,

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Header with picture or text box Scott Page Layout 15 April 28th 23 02:52 AM
error messages when using table formula after moving column tot's hunguponword Tables 3 November 26th 06 03:27 AM
Losing textbox on table Jack Tables 13 November 21st 06 03:09 AM
Arcane Question @ Text Boxes & "Frames" Elmer Page Layout 12 August 14th 06 08:34 AM
Table Format Style vs. Table Text Style WebColin Page Layout 11 December 1st 05 11:29 PM