Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Default Heading Styles

I am using Word 2003 SP2. I have created a heading style (using Words
built-in Heading 6) for Appendices. My numbering scheme has the word
"APPENDIX" before the designation (APPENDIX A). This works great as the
appendix numbering is sequential as new ones are added and I can easily
generate a list of appendices in the Table of Contents and can also use auto
cross-reference.

The problem is that when I generate the Table of Contents, it brings in the
word "APPENDIX" for each line, which is rather redundant:

LIST OF APPENDICES

APPENDIX A TITLE .......................... A-i
APPENDIX B TITLE .......................... B-i, etc.

Is there a way to generate the TOC without bringing in the word "APPENDIX"
each time (just the letter designation and no leading space)? I also want to
maintain the sequential numbering and cross-referencing capabilities.
--
Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might consider using two different styles in your appendixes. Use your
numbered style for the appendix numbering; call that style Appendix Number
and give it an outline number of Body Text (so it won't be picked up by the
TOC). Use Heading 6 for the actual appendix title. In the TOC, apply A, B, C
numbering to TOC 6. For more on this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings.

If you need to use Heading 6 for the numbering in order to include the
"chapter number" in the page number or captions, then use it for the
appendix number and create an Appendix Title style with an outline level of
6; in the TOC Options, clear the 6 from beside Heading 6 so that the
appendix numbers won't appear in the TOC.