Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge Marge is offline

Default Mail Merge Previews Wrong

I had an Avery Label Template that I was using in Word to create Name Tab
Labels (1 column, 2 to a page - small label sheets). When I merged from Excel
(using Graham's excellent directions with the Next Record field) and got
to the "Preview Your Labels" point, the labels appeard wrong in that the
first record was on label #1, the second record was on Label #2, and then the
second record showed again on Label #3, what was record number three showed
on Label #4, record number three showed again on Label #5, record number four
showed on Label #6, etc., etc., with the records on the second label of each
page repeating on the first label of the next page throughout the document as
I used the Next Recipient button to preview. When I went on to the "complete
the Merge" step and used the "Print" feature, they continued to print wrong,
with the repeated labels for each new sheet.

BUT - when I used the Edit the "Edit individual labels..." tool and
previewed the labels in a completed Word document, they were correct and
printed correctly. Go figure that one???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Nothing to figure! In the first method that you describe, you have not
actually executed the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge Marge is offline

So - when you are in the "Preview Your Labels" window it isn't "really" a
preview - it's a semi-preview and in this case it appears wrong...therefore
you just have to "trust" and hit the PRINT choice on the "Complete the merge"
step and assume it is going to be okay if you don't want to see the completed
document by selecting the "Edit individual labels..." . I've just always been
one to go ahead and print and not do the extra step, but it freaked out my
user because she only had a limited number of these kind of expensive
nametags and she/we and it originally appeared that it was going to print all
of these duplicates.

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

With labels, it is probably best to execute the merge to a new document and
then print that. You should make use of the mailmerge toolbar (as mentioned
in Graham's article) and not bother with the wizard which causes more
problems (such as yours) that it helps solve.

--

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

So - when you are in the "Preview Your Labels" window it isn't "really" a
preview - it's a semi-preview

Yes, at best, it's a preview based on the idea that that the merge starts
with the record currently selected. And even that is not the whole truth.

but it freaked out my
user because she only had a limited number of these kind of expensive
nametags and she/we and it originally appeared that it was going to print
all
of these duplicates.

It sounds like she saved someone a lot of money.

Here, I use a number of different printers/stationery types/label layouts.
They are mostly based on A4-sized paper, and what I usually try to do is
test my output on ordinary A4 paper or cheap transparency stationery and
manually align the paper with the stationery I really want to print on. It
isn't always enough, because for example, a printer driver may assume that a
certain type of paper is only available in A5 size.

Frankly, I wish things were easier than that and I didn't have to waste any
paper at all, but I just don't think the current level of industry
standardisation is good enough to fix the problem for us. FWIW when I want
to print individual labels, I tend to use a Dymo labelmaker that can print
one-off labels, and avoid Word merge altogether. But that's probably not
helpful if you are producing large numbers of labels.

Nor do I know whether or not any initiatives exist to try to improve things.
Just my 2c-worth - if you want to make a suggestion to Microsoft, bear in
mind that these groups are typically "staffed" by volunteers who do not work
for Microsoft - you can always email but there is no
guarantee that anyone will, or can, change anything.

Peter Jamieson

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge Marge is offline

I DO appreciate the volunteerism - these forums are of as much or MORE use
than any of the Support/Help features I have found in M/Soft itself! I ALWAYS
get a resolution when I come here and ask a question - even if it is a "work
around" - it WORKS!

Thank you both for your replies! I will try and retrain my staff to use the
toolbar rather than the wizard - it will take a little re-educating, but
sounds worth it!

Thank you again!

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The toolbar is easier, but all of this can be done from the wizard and the
missing step too is highlighted on the referred web page.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Nothing to figure! In the first method that you describe, you
have not actually executed the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP