Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles A C Charles A C is offline

Default Can't Open or Move a Word Document

Created a word .doc that includes documents scanned into the word .doc as as
a picture. I have several documents like this and can open the other
documents but can't open this one. This file is 6,281kb and the other file
(that I can open) is 14,622kb. I can't open the file using Windows Explorer
and when I use Word I get the following message:

The full path of (file name) is too long. Try using the 'Map Network Drive'
command to connect to the server to shorten the path.

Not sure what that is or where it is. The file name is not longer than 218
characters, or is there a file name restriction that I am not aware of. The
file name is about 50 characters (not counting spaces).

How can I open this file and even when I do, what can I do to keep this from
occuring again?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maxxy5848 Maxxy5848 is offline

Hi Charles, Is the full path of the file more 256 characters? Try moving
the file lower in the directory tree, then opening it.

kind regards, Clint.

"Charles A C" wrote:

Created a word .doc that includes documents scanned into the word .doc as as
a picture. I have several documents like this and can open the other
documents but can't open this one. This file is 6,281kb and the other file
(that I can open) is 14,622kb. I can't open the file using Windows Explorer
and when I use Word I get the following message:

The full path of (file name) is too long. Try using the 'Map Network Drive'
command to connect to the server to shorten the path.

Not sure what that is or where it is. The file name is not longer than 218
characters, or is there a file name restriction that I am not aware of. The
file name is about 50 characters (not counting spaces).

How can I open this file and even when I do, what can I do to keep this from
occuring again?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles A C Charles A C is offline

Not sure what you mean by full path of the file? The file name is not more
than 60 characters and I can't copy or move the file. If I highlight the
file and use the cut or copy command and put the file in another folder,
nothing happens. Its as though the file is frozen. In Windows Explorer, all
the information is there as though the file can be accessed. As I said
earlier, I scanned some documents in as a Word Document and save them as a
picture. I have other word files similar to this one. I am at a loss.