Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
john mcmichael john mcmichael is offline

Default Dictionary will not accept words

Do you know why a user would be unable to add words to their dictionary and
the document keeps defaulting to English U.K.? I tried running normal.dot and
setting the default office language to English U.S. but the document itself
seems to have been created in English U.K.. I'm not sure why this would
prevent him from adding to his dictionary though. He tries to right click on
the misspelled word and add to dictionary, but it is grayed out. Any
suggestions would be helpful.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When the dictionary fails to accept Words, it's often because it's set to a
different language from the text in question. Go to Tools | Options |
Spelling & Grammar and click on Custom Dictionaries... In the Custom
Dictionaries dialog, select Custom.dic and click Modify. Make sure that the
language is set to All Languages.

For help setting Word's default language, see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm. To change the
language of a given document, Ctrl+A to select all the text in the document,
then go to Tools | Language | Set Language and select the desired language.
Clear the check boxes for "Detect language automatically" and "Do not check
spelling or grammar."