Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wina wina is offline

Default protect doc for web page

I want a web link to a doc on my webpage, but I want to protect the document
from being changed when it is open online. I have Word 2000.
thanks, Wina
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Wina

wina wrote:
I want a web link to a doc on my webpage, but I want to protect the document
from being changed when it is open online. I have Word 2000.

Are you saying you want to prevent anybody from changing the very file
that is on your server (principally, that is not necessary because he
has no write-access to your webspace -- or, at least, he _shouldn't have
-- consult your webspace provider)?

You cannot really prohibit the user changing the file he downloads to
his computer (which he always does when he looks at it). You can
write-protect the file with a password, yes, but whoever really wants a
copy to change will get one (it's only a question of how much he has to
work for it).

HTH
Robert
--