Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Brian Ross Brian Ross is offline

Default print error during mail merge

Hello all. I'm printing a mail merge with 164 Access records. About half way
through the print, my printer crashed and required me to re-start the
printer. Unfortunatly, this lost the printer's que and I don't want to
re-print 110 envelopes again!

Is there any way to print a selected number of the mail merge? Also, even
though I had the records alphebetized by last name in the Access file, the
mail merge does not print in that order... so it's not like I can just delete
A-N and start a new mail merge. I can't even figure out in what order it is
printing them.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When you get to the poit where you "Merge to Printer" you should see a
dialog box that will let you select the first and last recods to merge.
However, it you don't know exactly where you finished, I would try something
like
a. print the last 20
b. print the 20 before that
c. and so on until you get some overlap.

As for the sequence, it is unpredictable as you say - that's because you
cannot rely on the records in a relational table such as an Access table
being presented in a specific sequence (not even "primary key" sequence).
However,
d. for now, I would /guess/ that the records will be presented in the same
sequence as they were presented when you did the incomplete merge, unless
you have done work on the Access data in which case they might not be. But
it's just a guess
e. for the future, as long as you define a query in Access which selects
the records and uses an ORDER BY claues to seqeunce them, you /should/ see
the records being merged in the specifed sequence.

Peter Jamieson