Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AttractiveMT AttractiveMT is offline

Default Word 2003

Word 2003/autocorrect is giving me a hard time. I am a medical
transcriptionist and rely on expansions, some say macros. A while back I
asked this question, how do I make yo expand to -year-old using my
autocorrect. You cannot just put it in and use replace with. Last time, I
had to use the semicolon to make it expand 53;yo would expand to 53-year-old.
I made a mistake and deleted it and now it no longer works when I just put
in autocorrect yo for and replace with -year-old. This is the only expansion
that I know of that needs a helper like a semicolon to expand. Could someone
please help me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You're not really in the right group here.

Maybe you got an answer somewhere else, but
a. I don't use Autotext much myself
b. as far as I can see Word won't expand anything that you type immediately
after a number
c. I would probably either
- use an autocorrect that replaced yo by year-old and just type 53-yo
instead, or
- set up an autotext for 53yo (and of course all the other numbers I
needed - that could probably be done using a macro, or simply each time you
encountered one you hadn't used before.

Peter Jamieson

"AttractiveMT" wrote in message
Word 2003/autocorrect is giving me a hard time. I am a medical
transcriptionist and rely on expansions, some say macros. A while back I
asked this question, how do I make yo expand to -year-old using my
autocorrect. You cannot just put it in and use replace with. Last time,
had to use the semicolon to make it expand 53;yo would expand to
53-year-old.
I made a mistake and deleted it and now it no longer works when I just put
in autocorrect yo for and replace with -year-old. This is the only
expansion
that I know of that needs a helper like a semicolon to expand. Could
someone
please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tim of Calgary Tim of Calgary is offline

This is a real issue with Word. It applies in 2K too.

What I did for this sort of problem is use the autotext "-yo" to replace
with "-year-old"; this avoids the whole number problem, since the number
exemption doesn't seem to be applied in this case. Also, since the hyphen
usually appears at the beginning anyway, you just type it rather than macro
it.

That way you also avoid problems like year-olduths.

The issue appears to have something to do with handling of things like
ordinals (23rd), but as an end user I can't suss it out much further.

Hope this works without too much hassle;

Tim.

"AttractiveMT" wrote:

Word 2003/autocorrect is giving me a hard time. I am a medical
transcriptionist and rely on expansions, some say macros. A while back I
asked this question, how do I make yo expand to -year-old using my
autocorrect. You cannot just put it in and use replace with. Last time, I
had to use the semicolon to make it expand 53;yo would expand to 53-year-old.
I made a mistake and deleted it and now it no longer works when I just put
in autocorrect yo for and replace with -year-old. This is the only expansion
that I know of that needs a helper like a semicolon to expand. Could someone
please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Because there is no space between 53 and yo, Word does not recognize the
autocorrect yo as an autocorrect trigger.
If you typed yo on its own then that would work. To force the separation you
can use one of a number of characters - ; is one # another. You could even
use -
So you could use e.g. ;yo #yo or probably most logical -yo as the trigger.