Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncs Duncs is offline

Default Hyperlink missing from TOC

I'm creating a document, based on a standard work template. I'm using
Heading 1, Heading 2 etc. and then trying to insert a table of
contents.

The TOC goes in OK however, I can't click on any of the entries to jump
to that page. When I move the cursor over the TOC text, the displayed
Style changes from TOC1 to TOC2 as appropriate. If I load another
document that also has a TOC in it, moving through the TOC entries
displays TOC1 then Hyperlink, then TOC1 and so on.

Why does the Hyperlink not show, and why can't I jump to TOC entries?

TIA

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If you insert the TOC via Insert Reference Index and Tables Table of
Contents tab, the check button €śUse hyperlinks instead of page numbers€ť must
be turned on if you want the TOC entries to work as hyperlinks.

In an existing TOC, you can easily change this by editing the field code:
Select the entire TOC and press Shift+F9 to toggle field codes. Now you
should see something like this: { TOC \o "1-3" \u } (there may be more codes
between the braces). Before the right brace, add €ś\h€ť (without the quotes).
Now your TOC field should look something like this: { TOC \o "1-3" \u \h }
Press Shift+F9 to toggle field codes again. Press F9 to update the TOC.

Now the TOC entries should work as hyperlinks.

For more details about working with TOCs, see:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Duncs" wrote:

I'm creating a document, based on a standard work template. I'm using
Heading 1, Heading 2 etc. and then trying to insert a table of
contents.

The TOC goes in OK however, I can't click on any of the entries to jump
to that page. When I move the cursor over the TOC text, the displayed
Style changes from TOC1 to TOC2 as appropriate. If I load another
document that also has a TOC in it, moving through the TOC entries
displays TOC1 then Hyperlink, then TOC1 and so on.

Why does the Hyperlink not show, and why can't I jump to TOC entries?

TIA

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncs Duncs is offline

Many thanks for your help.

Duncs

--
"To do two things at once is to do neither."
~ Publilius Syrus

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
news
If you insert the TOC via Insert Reference Index and Tables Table of
Contents tab, the check button "Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers"
must
be turned on if you want the TOC entries to work as hyperlinks.

In an existing TOC, you can easily change this by editing the field code:
Select the entire TOC and press Shift+F9 to toggle field codes. Now you
should see something like this: { TOC \o "1-3" \u } (there may be more
codes
between the braces). Before the right brace, add "\h" (without the

"Duncs" wrote:

I'm creating a document, based on a standard work template. I'm using
Heading 1, Heading 2 etc. and then trying to insert a table of
contents.

The TOC goes in OK however, I can't click on any of the entries to jump
to that page. When I move the cursor over the TOC text, the displayed
Style changes from TOC1 to TOC2 as appropriate. If I load another
document that also has a TOC in it, moving through the TOC entries
displays TOC1 then Hyperlink, then TOC1 and so on.

Why does the Hyperlink not show, and why can't I jump to TOC entries?

TIA

Duncs

Hyperlink behavior in Word 2003 Richard Microsoft Word Help 0 December 22nd 06 12:31 AM
Word Hyperlink: Opening & Returning CEB Microsoft Word Help 6 December 1st 06 04:28 PM
hyperlink jr Microsoft Word Help 3 December 9th 04 10:55 PM
Using MAILMERGE fields within HYPERLINK fields for Merge to Email Mark V Mailmerge 2 December 4th 04 04:01 PM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM