Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deb Deb is offline

Default Recent Access Queries Don't Show Up for Mail Merge

I'm trying to connect a datasource for a Mail Merge document in Word
2002. I created a query in Access with the info I needed, but when I
get the list of available sources when running through the connection
process, none of my new/recent queries are showing up. An old query
showed up, so I altered it to contain the info necessary for the mail
merge, and then THAT ONE stopped showing up in the list as well!

I'm not doing this by code or anything, just the usual Mail Merge
functionality on the toolbar.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've never seen this happen before! I
don't even know if it's a Word problem or an Access problem, but I've
been searching the net for a couple of hours now looking for a
solution! Should I just wait until tomorrow when it's no longer a
"new" query? heheheh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box for the "Confirm Conversions at Open" item. Then when you
attach the data source to the mail merge main document, use the DDE method
of connection that is offered in the dialog that will appear.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Deb" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm trying to connect a datasource for a Mail Merge document in Word
2002. I created a query in Access with the info I needed, but when I
get the list of available sources when running through the connection
process, none of my new/recent queries are showing up. An old query
showed up, so I altered it to contain the info necessary for the mail
merge, and then THAT ONE stopped showing up in the list as well!

I'm not doing this by code or anything, just the usual Mail Merge
functionality on the toolbar.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've never seen this happen before! I
don't even know if it's a Word problem or an Access problem, but I've
been searching the net for a couple of hours now looking for a
solution! Should I just wait until tomorrow when it's no longer a
"new" query? heheheh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deb Deb is offline

Actually, I just figured it out while on the phone with our IT dept.
The query was one that pops up a dialog box asking for the date as soon
as you open it. All the queries I did today were like that.

I'm guessing that Word knows it can't use that query so it doesn't even
show up in the list of available queries to use. I took the date
question out & it now shows up in the list!

As usual, after hours of trying to figure something out, the little
light bulb over my head came on & I figured it out.

Thanks so much, tho!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box for the "Confirm Conversions at Open" item. Then when you
attach the data source to the mail merge main document, use the DDE method
of connection that is offered in the dialog that will appear.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP