Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Reid Simon Reid is offline

Default Pushing templates to users PC's

I am new to word development and have a fairly tricky problem to solve:

We have developed a plug-in that helps our users to create standard reports
in words. This plugin relies on a set of templates being on the users PC. At
the moment we send them via email and ask the users to detatch them, but this
is far from a great solution since it is unreliable at best, and means that
when we have updated templates we cannot garantee that people will be using
the right ones. For various reasons we cannot put the templates on a shared
network drive (one is that we have offices around the world, so bandwidth is
an issue)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could solve this problem (I have a
few ideas, maybe connect to a web service to download them?), or any tips on
where I can look for more advice?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The last part of
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm is
devoted to this subject. I haven't tried to implement it, but some of
the other MVPs have had experience in this area and can advise if you
have further questions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:57:02 -0800, Simon Reid Simon
wrote:

I am new to word development and have a fairly tricky problem to solve:

We have developed a plug-in that helps our users to create standard reports
in words. This plugin relies on a set of templates being on the users PC. At
the moment we send them via email and ask the users to detatch them, but this
is far from a great solution since it is unreliable at best, and means that
when we have updated templates we cannot garantee that people will be using
the right ones. For various reasons we cannot put the templates on a shared
network drive (one is that we have offices around the world, so bandwidth is
an issue)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could solve this problem (I have a
few ideas, maybe connect to a web service to download them?), or any tips on
where I can look for more advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Reid Simon Reid is offline

The solution there is to update user login scripts, its a good solution, but
unfortunatly in our orginisation that is not going to be possible, I am
really looking for a solution that can be coded into the word addin itself.

wrote:

I am new to word development and have a fairly tricky problem to solve:

We have developed a plug-in that helps our users to create standard reports
in words. This plugin relies on a set of templates being on the users PC. At
the moment we send them via email and ask the users to detatch them, but this
is far from a great solution since it is unreliable at best, and means that
when we have updated templates we cannot garantee that people will be using
the right ones. For various reasons we cannot put the templates on a shared
network drive (one is that we have offices around the world, so bandwidth is
an issue)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could solve this problem (I have a
few ideas, maybe connect to a web service to download them?), or any tips on
where I can look for more advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I'm not sure I understand your objection to login scripts, but here's
another (untested) idea...

Create an AutoExec macro in a global template
(http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/...ionEvents.htm). This macro can
download the latest set of templates from a web page. To minimize bandwidth,
the macro could first download and read a small text file in which you store
the URLs and file dates of the current templates. If the dates in the file
match the dates of the templates already on the local drive, then nothing
more needs to happen. If any date in the text file is later than the
template's date, the macro can download the new template from the
corresponding URL.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

I am new to word development and have a fairly tricky problem to
solve:

We have developed a plug-in that helps our users to create standard
reports in words. This plugin relies on a set of templates being on
the users PC. At the moment we send them via email and ask the
users to detatch them, but this is far from a great solution since
it is unreliable at best, and means that when we have updated
templates we cannot garantee that people will be using the right
ones. For various reasons we cannot put the templates on a shared
network drive (one is that we have offices around the world, so
bandwidth is an issue)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could solve this problem (I
have a few ideas, maybe connect to a web service to download
them?), or any tips on where I can look for more advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Reid Simon Reid is offline

Thanks, I will give that a go

wrote:

I am new to word development and have a fairly tricky problem to
solve:

We have developed a plug-in that helps our users to create standard
reports in words. This plugin relies on a set of templates being on
the users PC. At the moment we send them via email and ask the
users to detatch them, but this is far from a great solution since
it is unreliable at best, and means that when we have updated
templates we cannot garantee that people will be using the right
ones. For various reasons we cannot put the templates on a shared
network drive (one is that we have offices around the world, so
bandwidth is an issue)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could solve this problem (I
have a few ideas, maybe connect to a web service to download
them?), or any tips on where I can look for more advice?

How do you use a template? TheWheel Microsoft Word Help 10 August 25th 06 04:34 PM
FilePrint macro didn't work after all... janice Microsoft Word Help 11 March 28th 06 06:26 PM
All users access to template Jill D Microsoft Word Help 6 December 7th 05 05:41 PM
Normal.dot Issue PA New Users 7 August 7th 05 04:40 PM
Templates in too many languages. Only need English. capt_dalton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 10:29 PM