Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jbrzez jbrzez is offline

Default Images MailMerged from Excel

Here is a question I put in the Excel Discussion Group:
I have an Excel file (for a family directory) that contains normal field
(text-based) entries and alos I have added in some images. I am using Mail
Merge in Word to create a directory and the text fields come over but not the
images contained in the image field. What do I need to do to the images in
Excel to have both Excel recognize them and be usable in other applications?

Is there anything on the Word side that I can do to make this merge
smoother/cleaner?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the "Graphics from data base" item under the "Special merges" section of
fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jbrzez" wrote in message
Here is a question I put in the Excel Discussion Group:
I have an Excel file (for a family directory) that contains normal field
(text-based) entries and alos I have added in some images. I am using
Mail
Merge in Word to create a directory and the text fields come over but not
the
images contained in the image field. What do I need to do to the images
in
Excel to have both Excel recognize them and be usable in other
applications?

Is there anything on the Word side that I can do to make this merge
smoother/cleaner?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jbrzez jbrzez is offline

The newsgroup has done wonders for me so I will keep the issue in here.
I don't have full Internet access here at work so I can't access the site
you listed. Can you outline it as a response here or cut and paste the info
into the response?

"jbrzez" wrote in message
Here is a question I put in the Excel Discussion Group:
I have an Excel file (for a family directory) that contains normal field
(text-based) entries and alos I have added in some images. I am using
Mail
Merge in Word to create a directory and the text fields come over but not
the
images contained in the image field. What do I need to do to the images
in
Excel to have both Excel recognize them and be usable in other
applications?

Is there anything on the Word side that I can do to make this merge
smoother/cleaner?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word cannot merge a graphic or OLE-object directly from a database because
it does not understand the type of data the database sends across (long
binary). Therefore, you have to workaround this obstacle.

1.. Save the graphics files in a folder (directory) on a drive
2.. Place the file name (or path information) in a field in the database
3.. Reference the graphic file information by nesting the merge field in
an IncludePicture field.
Example: { IncludePicture "C:\\Data\\Pics\\{ Mergefield Signature \*
upper }" }
4.. You must now merge to a new document.
5.. Update the field display so that each record shows the correct
picture. (You can press Ctrl+A to select the entire document, then F9 to
update the fields.)
Note the double backslashes in the example, as well as the double-quotes.
Both are necessary if the field is to work correctly.