Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Hyperlinks in Word 2003

Folks

I have scanned the forum here for an answer but either have missed it ... or
it isn't here ... so ...

I am a teacher trying to prepare work for my students.

I have a folder with all sorts of files (but mainly Word). They are
hyperlinked and work fine on my desktop.

I want my students to have a copy of the entire structure so I burn them a
cd (dvd actually but I use it as a data drive) When I simply copy (I use Nero
but it surely should not matter) the entire folder structure to a DVD and
burn it many of the links no longer work, in fact they have changed.

I had Sushi2007/Documents/Document%20B.doc and the same link becomes
Sushi2007/Sushi2007/Text/Documents/Document%20B.doc

ie the folder name has been repeated

If I copy the folder back to the desktop from the dvd onto a test machine
(one of my student's laptops), the hyperlinks do not work, they are the same
'modified version as above.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Kevin:

This is never easy in Word, because it attempts to create "absolute" path
names in hyperlinks.

The simplest method is to place all of the assets in a single folder.

Then reveal your field codes and use find/replace to remove the path from
each hyperlink.

Word won't put the path back when it saves the document, and if all of the
files are in the same folder, it will find the files correctly on the
students' machines.

To do anything more sophisticated, you need to "package" the whole structure
using a web editor or Microsoft HTML Help (a free download).

Cheers

On 3/2/07 7:46 PM, in article
, "Kevin"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410