Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
P.J. P.J. is offline

Default Help with mail merge

Hi all,

I had an existing 2003 spreadsheet and updated it to a 2007 excel
spreadsheet. I am familiar with mail merge, but I cannot get the data to
import properly. What am I doing wrong? I tried the Wizard and also tried
the manual insertion.

The word document was created in Word 2007.

Thanks for any help you all might have.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You best short-term option in this case is probably to Check Microsoft
Office Button|Word Options|Advanced|General|"Confirm File format conversion
upon open"

Then try reconnecting to your workbook in Mailings|Select Recipients. After
you have selected the workbook, you should see the Confirm Data Source
dialog box, probably with just the "OLE DB Database Files" option showing.
Check "Show all", then select "MS Excel Worksheets via DDE", then OK. Word
will open Excel and do the right thing.

However, it will only work with the first sheet in your workbook, Unicode
data won't come acress and only the first (can't remember how many) columns
will come across.

But can you describe what went wrong? Did you see any dialog boxes at all?
Normally, Word tries OLE DB first, then if it fails, it tries ODBC and
unfortunately there may be an error in the ODBC dialog box that prevents you
from getting any further.

Peter Jamieson
"P.J." wrote in message
Hi all,

I had an existing 2003 spreadsheet and updated it to a 2007 excel
spreadsheet. I am familiar with mail merge, but I cannot get the data to
import properly. What am I doing wrong? I tried the Wizard and also
tried
the manual insertion.

The word document was created in Word 2007.

Thanks for any help you all might have.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
P.J. P.J. is offline

Thank you Peter,

I did try your suggestions and it seemed it would work. However, when you
selected finish the merge, there was nothing inserted. Because of time
constraints I had to create a new list from the mailing menu.

I believe it is recognising the title fields as text to be merged. When
time allows, I will research this.

Again, thank you so much.

"P.J." wrote in message
Hi all,

I had an existing 2003 spreadsheet and updated it to a 2007 excel
spreadsheet. I am familiar with mail merge, but I cannot get the data to
import properly. What am I doing wrong? I tried the Wizard and also
tried
the manual insertion.

The word document was created in Word 2007.

Thanks for any help you all might have.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Will be interested to hear your findings...

Peter Jamieson

"P.J." wrote in message
Hi all,

I had an existing 2003 spreadsheet and updated it to a 2007 excel
spreadsheet. I am familiar with mail merge, but I cannot get the data
import properly. What am I doing wrong? I tried the Wizard and also
tried
the manual insertion.

The word document was created in Word 2007.

Thanks for any help you all might have.

Word crashes when I try to mail merge using Outlook recipients Medicalst Mailmerge 3 January 3rd 07 10:39 AM
Mail Merge insert merge fields Dannyl Mailmerge 1 December 12th 06 05:51 AM
Mail Merge Dannyl Mailmerge 0 December 12th 06 03:40 AM
Heavy Mail Merge Application Atul Mailmerge 1 August 17th 06 02:37 PM
How to get all mail merge fields in a document [email protected] Mailmerge 3 February 17th 06 05:43 AM